Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspections
General Info
A VIN inspection is a physical examination of your vehicle to verify the VIN on your vehicle matches the title or ownership document. The inspection fee is $7.
You must get a VIN inspection for:
  • Out-of-state or out-of-country titled vehicles;
  • Vehicles being titled as totaled and assembled, reconstructed or replica;
  • Any vehicle with a title surrendered under ORS 819.010, 819.012, 819.014 or 819.030 (this includes recovered stolen vehicles that are not totaled due to damage);
  • Oregon salvage-titled vehicles with an application for a regular Oregon title; or
  • Any vehicle that DMV has reason to believe was not certified by the manufacturer as conforming to U.S. Federal vehicle standards.

You can have a VIN inspection done by:

Temporarily Out-of-State
If your vehicle is out of state, you can have an inspection done by the other state's DMV or a law enforcement officer. Military personnel who live in Oregon but are stationed outside Oregon may also have an inspection done by military police, a commanding officer, or a provost marshal.

The inspection can be done on DMV's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspection (Form 735-11) or another state’s form. Oregon does not charge a fee for inspections done out of state.