Most Recent News
Construction Update: Aug. 11-22, 2016
Aug. 28, 2016
Reminder: Paving on U.S. 26 begins Aug. 28
Expect nightly delays Sunday through Friday morning through September
Starting 9 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 28, crews will begin paving a nearly eight mile stretch of U.S. 26 on Mt. Hood between east of Kiwanis Camp Road to Oregon Highway 35. Work requiring lane closures and flagging will take place nightly Sunday through Friday morning through September. Daytime paving will also take place outside of the travel lanes. Here is what else to expect:
- Multiple crews working along the eight mile stretch of U.S. 26.
- Work will not occur over the Labor Day weekend from noon Friday, Sept. 2 to midnight, Monday, Sept. 5. Work will occur starting at 12:01 a.m., Tuesday, Sept. 6.
- 20-minute delays due to traffic stops and pilot car escorts starting at 9 p.m. Sunday nights and 7 p.m. Monday-Thursday nights. Paving work should wrap up by 7 a.m. each morning. These times may vary based on traffic conditions and congestion.
- Overnight closures of the U.S. 26 to OR 35 ramps for paving. Detour signs will be posted to direct travelers. This work could take place the week of Aug. 28. Details will be sent once determined.
- Paving could continue Friday mornings. However, lane closures will not occur after 10 a.m.
- Increased truck traffic along U.S. 26 and the paving plant at the Laurel stockpile site.
- Possible paving work on Saturday’s. So far, there are no current plans to work on Saturdays.
- Nighttime noise associated with the paving operation. Noise issues that require immediate attention please call 503-412-2361. During regular business hours, call 503-539-8454.
- Paving through Government Camp will occur after Labor Day.
K&E Excavating expects to apply 600,000 tons of asphalt over a four-week period. The current schedule is subject to change based on weather and other conditions.
Impacts to Travel
Construction will delay travel through the area. However, you will still be able to get to where you are going. Here is what to expect so you can plan to avoid delays.
The information above reflects the impacts for the current week. Throughout the season you can expect the following traffic impacts:
• Around-the-clock lane closure on U.S. 26 from east of Kiwanis Camp Road to east of Mirror Lake.
• Increase truck traffic on Lolo Pass Road and Trillium Lake Road.
• Flagging and up-to 20 minute traffic stops anytime the contractor is working.
•Daytime and nighttime work.
•Occasional 24-hour flagging.
This season, K&E Excavating will continue to
work along the slopes along U.S. 26 west of Government Camp between east
of Kiwanis Camp Road and east of Mirror Lake, pave U.S. 26 and place a
barrier between the east and westbound lanes. Work will take place Monday through Saturday and could
take place around-the-clock. This could change during the course of the
project. Flagging, and road and trail closures will not occur on major
holidays or Sundays.
For questions or comments about the Mount Hood Highway Safety Project, please contact:
Kimberly Dinwiddie, ODOT Community Affairs