|For Veterans and Families|
Watch for Oregon's Memorial Day events list that will be posted by May 1st. Click for more about Memorial Day 2014
▪ "Take a Veteran/Active Duty Member Fishing Day"
This annual fishing day for Veterans and Active Duty members is at the Camp Angelos ponds and facilities is Sat., May 3rd. Camp location: 4.5 miles south of Troutdale, east side of the Sandy River near Springdale. Lunch, tackle, bait, and archery equipment provided. Check-in: 10 am. Space is limited to 50. Register here.
- Contacts: Rod Brobeck, 503-819-1561, email@example.com, Jack Morby, 503-704-1842
▪ Washington County Job and Benefit Fair
Free Veteran job and benefit fair for all veterans, spouses of veterans, May 14, 10 am to 2 pm. Free parking. 40 employers with real family wage jobs, 20 veteran resource providers at Tuality Hospital Education Center, 334 SE 8th, Ave., Hillsboro.
- Contact: Kurt Carlsen, 503 527-2711
▪ Veteran's Appreciation Week-Job Fair at Portland C.C.
Job and Benefit Fair for all veterans, students, and the general public, 10 am to 2:30 pm, May 21-22, at Portland Community College, Rock Creek, 17705 NW Springfield Road, Bldg. 2, Portland.
- Contact: Jaime Rodriguez, 971-722-7744
▪ American Legion Extension Institute Training Session
Milwaukie Post 180 to conduct a Legion Extension Institute Training Session, May 31, 12 pm, 2146 SE Monroe St., Oregon City. The three-hour session will review history, customs, traditions and the Legion's Four Pillars. Staff will answer questions. Refreshments will be served.
- Contact: Ward A. Allen, 503-621-7977
▪ Military Order of Purple State Convention
The state convention will be held at the Liberty Inn in Lincoln City, on June 6-7. Reservations: 877-994-1777.
- Contact: Robert, 503-704-3483, firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ War Birds Over the West Fly-in at Aurora
A vintage War Bird fly-in and auto show is a fundraiser for restoring the Milwaukie-based B-17 bomber, Lacey's Lady, June 14-15 at the Aurora Airport. See airplanes, cars, aviation merchadise, with kid fun and more. Admission cost varies. Dinner with pilots on June 13: $25.
- Contact: Terry, 503-654-6491, visit B-17 website
▪ Roseburg VA to host Death Benefits Seminar
Discussions will include a variety of subjects: Spousal Benefits, Social Security, and more. Presented on June 26 by Roseburg National Cemetery, veteran service officers, funeral homes, veteran’s organizations, Fran Smith for Hospice Location: The VA's Auditorium, 3:30 pm. All questions will be answered.
- Contact: Carol Hunt, 541-673-4010 or 503-504-8198
▪ History Was Here: The Home Front in WW II
This family event showcases the home front and essential role of Salem's Thomas Kay Woolen Mill as a wartime service. Also presentations on Camp Adair, books and local authors, uniform displays, memorabilia, vehicles and living history, July 12, 10 am to 4 pm, Willamette Heritage Center, 1313 Mill St. SE.
- Contact: Kathleen, 503-585-7012 ext 254, email@example.com
▪ Warrior Run-Walk Fundraiser in Oregon City
Teams or individuals can enter a 5K, 10K Walk, Roll, and Run, July 27 at 8 am, Clackamette Park, 1955 Clackamette Dr., Oregon City. Regstration: $40. T-shirts and goodie bags are included. Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. The event benefits Veterans and the services they receive at Sycamore Lane Therapeutic Ring Center.
- CContacts: Suzanne, Michelle, or Lisa, 504-593-7084
▪ American Women Vets’ Assoc. meets in Douglas Co.
▪ Vietnam 25th Infantry Div., 1st Air CAV Vets
Female veterans from all US service branch/eras are invited to meet, become better informed, do service projects, and enjoy camaraderie. Monthly meeting is on the 2nd Tue., 5 pm, with a quarterly potluck at American Legion Post 16, 406 SE Oak St., Roseburg.
- Contact: Dona Brewer, 541-391-9813
All veterans are welcome to meet for lunch and conversation on the 2nd Tuesday of the month at Superking Buffet, 5105 SE 82nd Ave., Portland.
- Contact: Gary Hartt, 503-632-6955
▪ US Merchant Marine-Navy Armed Guard Meeting
The Oregon AMMV meets on the 3rd Monday of the month, 11:30 am, at the Clackamas Banquet Facility, 15815 SE 82nd Drive.
- Contact: Bob Roberts, 503-663-7876
▪ Douglas County Veterans Monthly Forum
Veteran organization leaders discuss and develop common support issues for all veterans in SW Oregon. Briefings from VA Roseburg Healthcare Systems, county veteran service officer and veteran's agencies. Meetings: 5 pm, third Tue. of each month at Roseburg American Legion Post 16, 406 SE Oak St.
- Contact: Jim, 541-672-4635, firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ Underage Veterans Meet 1st Fridays in Portland
Underage veterans who joined the service at age 16 or younger, and anyone else interested, are invited to come to this monthly meeting-luncheon at Gregg's Backyard Rest.,
3554 SE 82nd (near Powell), on the 1st Friday of each month.
- Contact: Willie Paradise, 503-665-1739
▪ 10th Mountain Division Group Meets Monthly
Newcomers, WWII comrades and descendants are invited to lunch on the last Sunday of the month, 1 pm., at Eastmoreland Golf Course Club House, 2425 SE Bybee Blvd., Portland. Group planning for the 10th Mountain Memorial Grove, picnics and other events.
- Contact: Jim Bray, 503-913-7058