How to Become an NHSC Site
Did you know…
Approximately one in five people in the United States live in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA).
There is an even greater need in Oregon:
- 25% of Oregonians live in a primary care shortage area.
- 40% of Oregonians do not have adequate access to mental health care.
- 31% of Oregonians lack access to dental care.*
NHSC-approved clinics improve access to primary care for people in communities with limited access to health care. The loan repayment programs offered through NHSC help practices in primary care shortage areas recruit qualified providers who want to work where their skills are needed most.
Act Now to Become an NHSC-Approved Site!
From approximately April 11 through June 6 (dates are preliminary from HRSA), the NHSC will be accepting applications from new sites. The Oregon Primary Care Office (PCO) would like your clinic to consider applying. By becoming a NHSC-approved site, you are helping to improve primary care for patients in Oregon! For more information visit http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/sites/index.html.
Benefits of Becoming an NHSC-Approved Site
NHSC-approved sites have many benefits, including:
- Assistance in helping you to attract and retain qualified and dedicated primary care providers. Providers working in NHSC-approved sites are eligible for federal loan repayment programs of up to 50,000 for two years of service. Read more about this program at http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment.
- Opportunities to network with other NHSC-approved sites and community organizations.
- Direct access to the Oregon Primary Care Office that provides assistance with increasing access to primary health care services in your community.
- Membership in a network of partners who are dedicated to providing care in communities with limited access to health care.
Testimonials from NHSC-Approved Sites
“In the end, recruitment was the motivating factor for us to apply, but the philosophy of the NSHC really matches what we have always done for our patients.” -Kimberly Heggen, M.D, Childhood Health Associates of Salem.
“Our ultimate goal is improve patient care in the Coos Bay community. Many physicians are looking for assistance with loan repayment, and it can be difficult to get them to consider moving to our area without some sort of program.”
- Marce Knight, Recruiter, North Bend Medical Center.
Steps to Apply - Get Started Today!
We are here to help! The Primary Care Office is the designated liaison between the National Health Service Corps and Oregon. Contact Meadow Martell for more information about the NHSC Site Application Cycle.
*Shortages based on federal ratios for adequate professional capacity for population-to-provider ratios for respective disciplines.