Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs) - Qualified Status Changes
View the Qualified Status Change (QSC) Matrix. 

What is a Qualified Status Change (QSC)?
A Qualified Status Change is a change in work or family status that allows limited mid-year changes to benefit plans that effect eligibility for coverage. These changes are allowed outside of the annual open enrollment period, provided you notify your educational entity within the required number of days. Most QSCs require you notify the entity within 31 days; however, there are a few exceptions. Please refer to the QSC Matrix for more details.
I'm getting married soon.  How do I go about adding my spouse and their children to my insurance?
Once the marriage has actually occurred, you have 31 days to notify your educational entity indicating your desire to add your new spouse and/or any children they may have to your insurance plans.
You cannot add a soon-to-be spouse to your plan prior the marriage unless they meet the eligibility requirements and are added as a “domestic partner”.  Then when the marriage occurs, you will need to notify your entity within 31 days of the marriage in order to change the relationship to “spouse”.
How do I add a new baby to my insurance?
If you or your spouse/partner have a baby, adopt a child or if a child is placed with you in anticipation of adoption, these are all valid QSC events to add a dependent to your insurance coverage.  You must notify your educational entity indicating your desire to add your new dependent within 31 days of the QSC event date.  If your entity offers child life coverage and you didn’t have other children previously eligible, you may enroll in child life coverage at this time as well.  Coverage is guaranteed when initially eligible, but if you choose not to enroll, medical evidence will be required to enroll in child life coverage during a future Open Enrollment period.
Where do I find information on Qualified Status Changes (QSC)?
Click here to review the eligible life events that qualify. You can also access the change form on the website.

Need more information? Review more Frequently Asked Questions.