Direct Secure Messaging Services
Direct Secure Messaging is a secure email service for health care providers, hospitals, labs, long term care facilities and other health care entities to securely share patient information to ensure that information is available when and where it is needed to provide the best care for patients. There are many ways that Direct Secure Messaging can be used by health care providers for the coordination of care. Examples of how Coordination of Care Using CareAccord Direct Secure messaging is possible.
Watch an overview of Oregon's phased approach to health information exchange, receive an introduction to Direct Secure Messaging, walk through the Participation and User Agreements, and understand the four different types of Direct Secure Messaging accounts.
Direct Secure Messaging
- Enables sending and receiving of email messages and attachments containing patient clinical data
- Allows a provider or organization to rely less on a fax, telephone, regular mail or couriers to transfer patient clinical information
- Ensures receipt of a sent message via a “read receipt” sent to the sender when the email is opened
- Accessible over the internet via a modern web browser (such as Internet Explorer 8, Chrome 15, Firefox 8, or Safari 4) without the purchase of additional software
- Can be used whether or not a clinic has an electronic health record system
- Compliant with HIPAA Security Guidelines
- Includes audit logs that track the sender, receiver, date and time an email is sent
- Built on national standards developed through The Direct Project. The Direct Project is sponsored by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC)
- A provider directory is part of CareAccord's Direct Secure Messaging services enabling the lookup of other participating providers based on name, organizational association or specialty
- Registration with Direct Secure Messaging establishes an entry in the provider directory
- The provider directory entries include: name, specialty, mailing address, practice address, phone and fax numbers, and license information
Ready to Get Started?
If you are interested in trying out this no-cost service, please visit the Getting Started page for information on how to register.