Patients and Families
A Patient-Centered Primary Care Home is a health care clinic that has been recognized for their commitment to patient-centered care. In a Patient-Centered Primary Care Home, you're the most important part of your care.
Your primary care home will:
- Better coordinate your care to help get you the services you need, when you need them
- Listen to your concerns and answer your questions
- Offer after-hours help and alternatives to the emergency room
- Help you play an active role in your health
Watch this video to learn more about what your primary care home can do for you!
*This video refers to "patient-centered medical homes." In Oregon, we call these Patient-Centered Primary Care Homes. They mean the same thing.
What can I do to make sure I'm getting the best possible care?
Becoming engaged in your health care is the best way to make sure your primary care doctor and health team provides the best care possible. They want you to speak up!
- Your primary care provider can answer questions and help you better understand your health needs
- If you need to get help from other doctors or health care providers in the community, your primary care provider can support you every step of the way
- When you have concerns about your health, your health care team will work with you to decide the best way to deal with them
When you visit your primary care provider, be sure to:
- Tell them what health issues you want to focus on first — tell them what's important to you
- Use your own words to repeat back the things you've discussed. This way, both you and your team will know the information is clear
- Ask your team how to reach them after hours
- Before you leave, be sure you know when your next appointment is and the things you need to work on
Find a Primary Care Home near you