Oregon is working toward improved outcomes for children and families through the transformation of its health and early learning systems. Sixteen Coordinated Care Organizations (CCOs) and sixteen Early Learning Hubs now serve Oregon’s children and families.
The Oregon Health Authority and the Early Learning Division of the Oregon Department of Education work closely to ensure coordination and alignment between these systems.
- The Early Learning Council (ELC) and Oregon Health Policy Board (OHPB) work together to provide policy guidance for these efforts.
- OHA’s Director sits on the Early Learning Council.
- Cross-sector staffing within the Oregon Health Authority supports coordination across both systems, with a focus on the zero to five population.
Local communities have taken great strides to ensure that health and early learning organizations are coordinated in in serving community members, including:
- Membership from multiple sectors on Hub and CCO boards
- Shared Hub and CCO projects and initiatives
- Shared funding for staff positions, professional development, and marketing
- Shared work plans and strategies for meeting shared metrics
- Focused communities of practice
Since 2014 a full-time Child Systems Collaboration Coordinator position supports the following activities and priorities:
Coordination across agencies
- Daily contact with Early Learning Division staff.
- OHA membership on Early Learning Division teams and committees.
- Collective impact work on developmental screening and other shared early childhood measures.
Coordination within OHA
Coordination between CCOs and Early Learning Hubs
The Raising of America is a documentary series that interweaves the latest discoveries from neuroscience with the stories of families and communities struggling to provide the nurturing environments all babies and young children need to thrive—while too often hindered by social conditions that put their children on low developmental trajectories.
Vroom is set of tools (including a smartphone app) that empowers parents and caregivers to be brain builders. Learn more about Oregon's Vroom pilot sites and how to share Vroom in your community.
Health & Early Learning Systems
Oregon Early Learning Division
Oregon Maternal & Child Health
Oregon's Coordinated Care Organizations
Joint Subcommittee of the Early Learning Council & Oregon Health Policy Board
Child & Family Wellbeing Measures Workgroup
Early Childhood Developmental Screening
Connecting to K-12 Education
Public Health & Education
Health at School