Opportunities for farmers with WIC and the Farm Direct Nutrition Program
Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
The Oregon Health Authority, Public Health Division is
proposing to amend administrative rules in chapter 333, division 52 to extend
the benefit validity date for the Oregon Farm Direct Nutrition Program (FDNP)
from October 31 to November 30 of the year in which the benefits were issued.
Extending the date will increase the local food types being seasonally produced
for participant consumption and potentially increase benefit redemption rates.
You are being invited to review and comment on the proposed
rules. You may file written comments before 5:00 p.m. on May 22, 2018 by
submitting them to the Public Health Division Rules Coordinator at the
Brittany Hall, Administrative
800 NE Oregon Street, Suite 930
Portland, Oregon 97232
E-mail comments to: email@example.com.
You may also send comments by fax to (971) 673-1299. For more information
please see the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, Statement of Need and Fiscal
Impact and proposed rules here.
Oregon WIC has switched from paper vouchers to an electronic solution we call eWIC. All issance of blue paper WIC vouchers (checks) has ended as of June 30, 2016. Read this letter sent to existing WIC-authorized farmers on February 19, 2016 (PDF), for more detail.
About the Farm Direct Nutrition Program
The Oregon Farm Direct Nutrition Program (Farm Direct) provides WIC families and low income seniors with checks to purchase fresh, locally-grown fruits, vegetable and cut herbs directly from local farmers. In 2016, local farmers earned $1.28 million in Farm Direct sales to seniors and WIC families.
Training and reference materials for farmers
- View 2018 Farmers Market Agreement - participating farmers market managers agree to this information when authorized to participate in FDNP.
- View flyer (PDF) describing opportunities for farmers with the Farm Direct Nutrition Program.
- View Farm Direct Nutrition Program Rules for Participation (PDF), which applicant farmers must review in-person with their market manager to state WIC staff prior to authorization.
- View Farmer Guide (PDF), which farmers receive upon authorization. Describes everything that authorized farmers need to know about Farm Direct checks.
- View Farmer Agreement (PDF)
- View Market Manager Guide (PDF) that markets received upon Farm Direct designation. Describes everything market managers need to know about market participation in the Farm Direct Nutrition Program, including how to provide the required face-to-face Farm Direct training to applicant farmers.
- View farmer training flyer (PDF) with sample check and instructions for farmers
- Visit WIC's Fruit & Veggie Resources page. Includes a link to the Oregon Department of Agriculture's searchable directory of farm stands and farmers' markets authorized to accept Farm Direct checks.