Sign up for COMPASS Project updates by email
What is OWITS?
WITS (Web Infrastructure for Treatment Services) is a web based open source software system available to Behavioral Health Treatment providers in Oregon. The system is being tailored for use in Oregon and called OWITS (Oregon Web Infrastructure for Treatment Services). This system is designed to meet the growing needs of capturing patient treatment data and satisfy mandatory government reporting requirements for the planning, administration, and monitoring of Behavioral Health Treatment Programs. WITS was originally developed and sponsored by a SAMHSA's Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) project in 2001.
The purpose of the EHR is to provide software that facilitates cooperation and collaboration across treatment providers by enabling the sharing of client treatment information (within the constraints of HIPAA and 42CFR regulations).
OWITS Behavioral Electronic Health Records (EHR) System Fact Sheet for CCOs
Are you interested in using OWITS as your EHR (electronic health record) system?
We are currently taking applications for future waves of providers interested in implementing the EHR. Each wave will occur over a 3-4 month period and include approximately 10-12 providers.
Note: The OWITS EHR is available and free to publicly funded behavioral health providers and AMH required reporters, which includes DUII, methadone and detox providers. If you are unsure if you qualify, please contact COMPASS project staff at OWITS.Support@state.or.us
What do you need?
All you need is a PC, Internet connection, and Internet Explorer 6 or higher.
How do I get started?
The first steps of the process:
- Review the COMPASS web pages, documents and watch the video "OWITS EHR Tour."
- Review Memorandum of Understanding (to be signed at Step 7 of Phase III) and review Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
- Submit Provider Application: (PDF) or (Word)
- Review the Provider OWITS/EHR Steps and Process to understand the next steps for your agency and the AMH office.
- Review the OWITS System Flow document to better understand the flow of the OWITS system and to assist you with determining how OWITS and your current business flow will work together.
What you can expect as an OWITS user
- Classroom training
- Training Manuals and videos
- Business transition assistance
- Reporting capabilities
- OWUG (OWITS User Group) Membership
- Opportunity to have input on system changes
- No more CPMS reporting! (OWITS does this for you)
In December 2011, WITS, the electronic health system, received the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) Meaningful Use Certification as a "Complete EHR technology" in an ambulatory setting.
What is the Cost of the EHR for My Agency to Use?
There is no cost to use the EHR other than your staff time for training, agency set up and business transition. For more information on the requirements of using the EHR, check out the EHR Fact sheet or the EHR Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
OWITS Reference Manual (vol. 1)- OWITS Basics
OWITS Reference Manual (vol. 3)- Agencies, Facilities, Programs, and Staff Records
OWITS Reference Manual (vol. 4)- Client Profile
OWITS Reference Manual (vol. 5)- Client Activity and Contact
OWITS Reference Manual (vol. 6)- Screenings and Assessments
OWITS Reference Manual (vol. 7)- Groups and Group Notes
Who to contact for EHR Assistance or Questions?
Who is already working with us?
Green dot = Implemented
Yellow dot = Currently Implementing
Blue dot= assigned to future wave for training