What is OWITS?
WITS (Web Infrastructure for Treatment Services) is a web based open source software system available to Behavioral Health Treatment providers in Oregon. The system is being tailored for use in Oregon and called OWITS (Oregon Web Infrastructure for Treatment Services). This system is designed to meet the growing needs of capturing patient treatment data and satisfy mandatory government reporting requirements for the planning, administration, and monitoring of Behavioral Health Treatment Programs. WITS was originally developed and sponsored by a SAMHSA's Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) project in 2001.
The purpose of the EHR is to provide software that facilitates cooperation and collaboration across treatment providers by enabling the sharing of client treatment information (within the constraints of HIPAA and 42CFR regulations).
Are you interested in using OWITS as your EHR (Electronic Health Record) system?
We are currently taking applications for future waves of providers interested in implementing the EHR. Each wave will occur over a 3-4 month period and include approximately 10-12 providers.
Note: The OWITS EHR is available for a cost to behavioral health providers. Please contact OWITS Support at OWITS.Support@state.or.us
What do you need?
All you need is a PC, Internet connection, and Internet Explorer 6 or higher.
How do I get started?
The first steps of the process:
- Review the web pages, including posted documents and watch the video "OWITS EHR Tour."
- Review Memorandum of Understanding (to be signed at Step 7 of Phase III) and review Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - updated 9-5-2013
- Submit Provider Application: (PDF) or (Word)
- Review the Provider OWITS/EHR Steps and Process to understand the next steps for your agency and the AMH office.
- Review the OWITS System Flow document to better understand the flow of the OWITS system and to assist you with determining how OWITS and your current business flow will work together.
What you can expect as an OWITS user
- Classroom training
- Training Manuals and videos
- Business transition assistance
- Reporting capabilities
- OWUG (OWITS User Group) Membership
- Opportunity to have input on system changes
- No more CPMS reporting! (OWITS does this for you)
In December 2011, WITS, the electronic health system, received the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) Meaningful Use Certification as a "Complete EHR technology" in an ambulatory setting.
What is the Cost of the EHR for My Agency to Use?
There is a shared cost to use the EHR and the staff time for training, agency set up and business transition. The exact cost will be determined later and will not take effect until July 2015. For more information on the requirements of using the EHR, check out the EHR Fact sheet or the EHR Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
Volume 1: OWITS Basics
Volume 3: Agencies, Facilities, Programs, and Staff Records
Volume 4: Client Profile
Volume 5: Client Activity and Contact
Volume 6: Screenings and Assessments
Volume 7: Groups and Group Notes
Volume 8: Consent and Referrals
Volume 9: Client Discharge
Volume 12: Troubleshooting
OWITS Navigation Map
OWITS Admin Set Up User Guide
OWITS General Information User Guide
OWITS Profile User Guide
OWITS System Intake-Admission-Program Enrollment User Guide
OWITS Treatment Plan User Guide
OWITS Group Notes User Guide
OWITS Scheduler User Guide
OWITS Billing User Guide
IE Mixed Content and Compatibility Instructions
IE Stored Page and Pop-Up Instructions
OWITS Forum - A forum and message board for users of the OWITS EHR
Who to contact for EHR Assistance or Questions?
Who is already working with us?