How to Read the Paper Remittance Advice
Learn how to read and take action on the claim status information listed in this automated paper notice from DMAP.
About the paper RA
Information in the RA will appear in the following order, as applicable:
- Banner messages: Messages from DHS/OHA
- Paper check: If you don't want a paper check, sign up for direct deposit.
- Claim information: By type of bill and Internal Control Number (ICN) - paid, denied, in process, adjustments
- Third-party liability (TPL) information: Third-party resources for each client, in order of ICN
- Financial transactions: Non-claim-specific payouts to or refunds from providers; accounts receivable information
- Leverage Claims Payable - Not paid: Lists the claims the providers must pre-pay before DMAP can process them. Learn how to read this section and your RA summary to find out how much you need to pay.
- Summary: All activity reported to the RA
- EOB Code Descriptions: For all the Explanation of Benefit (EOB) codes listed in the RA
Quick references and tutorials
Other ways to get claim status information
These systems use HIPAA-compliant Claim Adjustment Reason Codes and/or Remittance Advice Remark Codes to describe the status of a claim.