Developed by the DHHS-Office for Human Research Protection, the following graphic aids and guidelines are tools to help investigators and the Public Health IRB determine appropriate action associated with research conducted by the Public Health Division and Multnomah County Health Department.
Investigators and the Public Health IRB must also consult Public Health Division policy and federal regulations. These charts do not address other requirements that may be imposed by other organizations such as the FDA or NIH.
How to Submit a Research Project to the IRB
When PHD or MCHD data is requested for research, the PH IRB Coordinator will direct the investigator to first contact the Program to see if disclosure of the data is possible, and if so, what the program requires in order to agree upon its release. Below are process maps demonstrating the data request and IRB processes for both internal research teams at the PHD or MCHD and external.
Investigators wishing to pursue PH IRB approval for a research project must submit the following information:
- Initial Review Questionnaire (Word)
- Protocol and grant application
- Data Use Agreements
- All key personnel CV's and proof of human subjects research training
- If applicable: recruitment flyer, phone scripts, consent/assent forms, authorization form, assessment instruments or questionnaires, and any other material that a research subject may be reviewing.
- For more detailed information on the submission, please see Page 20 of the PH IRB Policy & Procedures Manual, "Information the Investigator Provides"
All material must be forwarded to the Public Health IRB Coordinator. It is asked that before obtaining the appropriate signatures and formatting the study documentation as a PDF, you save WORD copies for your files as revisions will likely be requested throughout the duration of your study. Submit material to:
OHA Public Health Division
800 NE Oregon St., Ste. 930
Portland OR 97232
Submissions which are found to be incomplete or where the information may be lacking, incorrect, or inconsistent will not be forwarded to the IRB Chair for final determination until such issues have been resolved. This applies to all submissions requiring full, expedited, or exempt PH IRB review.