DHS | OHA Office of Information Services
The Office of Information Services (OIS) is a shared service provider for the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS) and the Oregon Health Authority (OHA).
Because DHS and OHA are closely connected through clients, joint operations and policies, they share some support services, including OIS. OIS supports the IT needs of both agencies, although OIS positions and budget are part of the OHA organizational structure.
Support for DHS, OHA, and partners statewide
OIS provides the IT systems and services that support nearly 12,000 DHS and OHA agency staff at local offices and facilities around the state. These systems and services help DHS and OHA to:
- Determine client eligibility
- Provide medical, housing, food, and job assistance
- Provide addiction, mental health, and vocational and rehabilitative services
- Protect children, seniors and people with physical and/or developmental disabililties
- Process claims and benefits
- Manage provider licensing and state hospital facilities
- Promote and protect the state public health
- Support internal DHS and OHA administrative functions, including human resource, finance and procurement programs
OIS maintains and supports nearly 18,000 computers and printers for agency staff. Customers are supported through the Service Desk and field technicians embedded in locations outside of Salem. The Service Desk responds to more than 9,500 assistance requests each month.
OIS also supports partners around the state that use DHS and OHA systems. These include:
- State agencies such as the Oregon Department of Justice Division of Child Support, the Oregon Employment Department and others
- Cities and counties
- District attorney's offices
- Private hospitals
- Other computer centers
OIS provides management support for DHS and OHA IT projects, systems architecture and data bases, IT asset and change management, and coordinates network and computing operations with the Oregon State Data Center.
The OIS organization structure
OIS consists of the Office of the CIO (OCIO) which provides leadership and administration, and four major operational sections which play vital roles helping OIS accomplish its mission and meet customer goals — Customer Services and Support (CSS), OIS Shared Services, and DHS|OHA information system support (DHS IS and OHA IS).
- Office of the CIO
- Customer Services and Support
- OIS Shared Servcies
- DHS/OHA IS support
Office of the CIO (OCIO)
The Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) is made up of OIS Administration and OIS Business Services.
OIS Administration is lead by the Interim Chief Information Officer (CIO) Steve Powell.
The CIO and DCIO provide overall leadership, planning, development and delivery of IT services to DHS, OHA and their partners. The DCIO also focuses on shared IT services and enterprise architecture efforts.
OIS Administration also provides organizational and strategic planning and support, research, legislative monitoring, and management of OIS communications and DHS/OHA IT policies.
OIS Business Services
The Business Services group provides central administrative support for OIS, including budget coordination, payment processing, payroll distribution, facilities coordination and financial and position management.
Customer Service and Support (CSS)
The Customer Service and Support section is the primary interface to OIS services for DHS and OHA employees, partners and other customers. Service Desk and desktop support technicians receive and resolve customer issues from around the state. Other CSS services include incident and problem management, customer communications, IT infrastructure operations, and IT asset management (hardware and software).
OIS Shared Services
The OIS Shared Services section is responsible for support of DHS and OHA Shared Service application development, maintenance and enhancement including the shared services groups for DHS and OHA. Other support services include managing data, IT standards, business process and IT governance.
DHS | OHA Information Services (IS) support sections
Two information services (IS) support groups work directly with DHS and OHA division and program offices on technology application development, maintenance and enhancements, ensuring that IT solutions meet their business needs.
DHS IS support
Kathryn Naugle, DHS IS IT Director
- Children, Adults and Families Division
- Seniors and People with Disabilities Division
- Vocational Rehabilitation Office
OHA IS support
Kathryn Naugle, Interim OHA IS IT Director
- Division of Medical Assistance Programs
- Public Employees' Benefit Board
- Oregon Educators Benefit Board
- Oregon Health Policy and Research
- Office of Private Health Partnerships
- Oregon Medical Insurance Pool
- Oregon Prescription Drug Program
- Addictions and Mental Health Division
- Public Health Division