Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Limited On-Premises Sales
Do not include fees at time of application. Fee will be collected at a later time.
License Fee: $200
Server Education Fee: $2.60

Privileges and Requirements
  • Sell and serve malt beverages, wine, and cider for on site consumption.
  • Allows the sale of malt beverages in containers holding 7 or more gallons (kegs) for off-site consumption.
  • Sell malt beverages for off-site consumption in securely covered containers (no more than two gallons) provided by the customer.
Optional privileges
  • To-Go Sales: Allows the sale of malt beverages in containers holding not more than 2¼ gallons, wine, and cider for off-site consumption. (Off-Premises Sales license required)
  • Special Events: Allows the use of your annual license at a special event at a location other than your business location. (Temporary Use of an Annual License required)
  • Catering: Allows the sale of distilled spirits, malt beverages, wine, and cider by the drink to individuals at off-site catered events. (Catering Pre-Approval Request form required)
  • Receive Direct Shipments of Wine/Cider: Allows receipt of wine or cider directly from Wine Self-Distribution Permitees (Application for Endorsement to Receive Wine/Cider Shipment)

Food Service Requirements
Food service is not a requirement of this license. However, if you plan to allow on-site consumption of alcohol (including “tastings”) by customers and you want to allow minor customers (people age 20 and under), you must describe how drinking will not be the predominant activity in the areas and times you will allow minors. Often, the best way to do this is to offer food service in the areas and during the times you will allow minors. The OLCC will work with you during the application process to help you with this issue.

Laws and Rules
Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) are adopted, repealed and amended by the Oregon legislature and signed into law by the Governor.  
Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) are implemented by the OLCC. These regulations are proposed by, adopted, repealed and amended by the OLCC.

Before You Apply
  • Contact the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) to determine what you need to do to comply with Federal laws. 
  • You must have an address in Oregon where you will do business. 
  • You must currently own, lease, or rent the business property or you must be in the process of purchasing, leasing, or renting the property. You may make any purchase, lease, or rent agreement contingent on obtaining a liquor license. 
  • Determine whether your business will be a sole proprietorship or some form of legal entity (such as a corporation or limited liability company). If you are a legal entity you must be registered to do business in Oregon with the Oregon Secretary of State Corporation Division
  • If you will offer lottery games (including video poker) contact the Oregon Lottery Commission
  • If you will make, warehouse, or sell at retail beer or wine for drinking on site, the Oregon Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Division may require a license. 

Application Forms
In order for the OLCC to be able to accept your application packet, it must contain all of the following OLCC forms and information: 
If you apply as a Corporation, LLC, Limited Partnership, or Franchise, you will need to complete the appropriate form below:
Additional REQUIRED DOCUMENTS to submit with your application 
  • Proof that you have, or will have access to the real property. Real property is the land or the building. This can be a lease, sale agreement or other proof of ownership, or a signed or draft document.
  • If you are buying the business, proof that you have, or will have access to the personal property. Personal property means the business, furnishings and equipment. This can be a lease, sale agreement or other proof of ownership, or a signed or draft document.

Submitting the Application Packet
You will be working with the OLCC office that covers the city or county where your business will be located.
Mail or deliver your completed application packet to the OLCC office that covers the city or county in Oregon where your business address is located.  Do not include the license fee at this time. 
If you need help completing your application, contact the OLCC office where you will be submitting your application packet. 
OLCC Office Locations

City or County Approval
Once the OLCC has determined that your application packet is complete and accurate, we will begin working on your application. We will then give you some documents to you take to the local government for their recommendation.
  • The local government is the city if your business address is within the city limits; or
  • The local government is the county if your business address is outside of the city limits
Contact your city or county to make sure you understand their process. They generally will not review your application until it is accepted by OLCC.

90-Day Temporary Authority to Operate
If you are taking over a business that already has a liquor license and are ready to operate the business immediately, we may be able to issue a 90-Day Temporary Authority to Operate. 
Before the authority can be issued, you must:
  • Pay the license fee
  • Complete Law Orientation
  • Provide Liquor Liability Insurance 

Liquor Liability Insurance
Liquor liability insurance is required for any business that allows on-premises consumption of alcohol. The OLCC will not issue a 90-Day Temporary Authority or license without proof of insurance.
The most common proof of insurance is an insurance certificate or ACORD form from your insurance agent. The form must show all of the following:
  • All applicant(s) as the named insured
  • Trade name of the business
  • Business address (not just the mailing address)
  • Liquor liability insurance
  • Coverage of at least $300,000 with no deductible
  • Coverage must be current 
  • OLCC is listed as a certificate holder

Required Training
Applicants for a Limited On-Premises Sales license must: 
  • Read Law Orientation for Retailers 
  • Take and submit to the Law Orientation Self Test for On-Premises Sales Licenses
  • Take and pass an Alcohol Server Education course: If you are applying as a legal entity (corporation or LLC) you must choose a person (server education designee) to take and pass the course on behalf of the legal entity. The server education designee must be a person with the authority to set, implement or change the licensee’s practices for selling and serving alcoholic beverages (usually an owner or a manager).

Special Event Licensing
If you would like to sell distilled spirits, malt beverages, wine or cider at an off-site special event, you will need a Temporary Use of an Annual license. There is no fee for this license. 
Application for Temporary Use of an Annual License 

For more information
You will be working with the OLCC office that covers the city or county where your business will be located. If you need help completing your application, or have additional questions, please contact the office where you will be submitting your application packet. 
OLCC Office Locations