Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image



Do not include fees at time of application. Fee will be collected at a later time.
License Fee: $250
Server Education Fee: $2.60 (If allowing on-site consumption of alcohol)


Back to Top

Privileges and Requirements

  • Must principally produce wine or cider in Oregon
  • Manufacture, store, and export wine and cider
  • Import wine or cider
    • If bottled, the brand of wine or cider must be owned by the licensee
  • Sell wine and cider to wholesale and retail licensees in Oregon
  • Sell malt beverages, wine, and cider to individuals in Oregon for consumption on or off site
Optional Privileges
Back to Top

Food Service Requirements

Food service is not a requirement of this license. However, if you plan to allow on-site consumption of alcohol (including “tastings”) by customers and you want to allow minor customers (people age 20 and under), you must describe how drinking will not be the predominant activity in the areas and times you will allow minors. Often, the best way to do this is to offer food service in the areas and during the times you will allow minors. The OLCC will work with you during the application process to help you with this issue.

Back to Top

Laws and Rules

Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) are adopted, repealed and amended by the Oregon legislature and signed into law by the Governor.  
Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) are implemented by the OLCC. These regulations are proposed by, adopted, repealed and amended by the OLCC.

Back to Top

Taxes and Bond Requirements

Privilege Tax
You are responsible for reporting to the OLCC the amount of wine and cider you make in Oregon, and wine and cider you import into Oregon. You may be required to pay a tax, called a privilege tax, on the wine and cider. 
Privilege Tax Bond
Unless you qualify for an exception, you will be required to maintain a privilege tax bond with the OLCC.  More information is available at http://www.oregon.gov/OLCC/privilege_tax.shtml#Bond_Requirement
Oregon Wine Board Tax
You may be responsible for this tax. For more information, read: Oregon Wine Board Tax Fact Sheet 

Back to Top

Before You Apply

  • Contact the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) to determine what you need to do to comply with Federal laws. 
  • You must have an address in Oregon where you will do business. 
  • You must currently own, lease, or rent the business property or you must be in the process of purchasing, leasing, or renting the property. You may make any purchase, lease, or rent agreement contingent on obtaining a liquor license. 
  • Determine whether your business will be a sole proprietorship or some form of legal entity (such as a corporation or limited liability company). If you are a legal entity you must be registered to do business in Oregon with the Oregon Secretary of State Corporation Division
  • If you will offer lottery games (including video poker) contact the Oregon Lottery Commission
  • If you will make, warehouse, or sell at retail beer or wine for drinking on site, the Oregon Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Division may require a license. 

Back to Top

Application Forms

In order for the OLCC to be able to accept your application packet, it must contain all of the following OLCC forms and information: 
If you apply as a Corporation, LLC, Limited Partnership, or Franchise, you will need to complete the appropriate form below:
Additional REQUIRED DOCUMENTS to submit with your application 
  • Proof that you have, or will have access to the real property. Real property is the land or the building. This can be a lease, sale agreement or other proof of ownership, or a signed or draft document.
  • If you are buying the business, proof that you have, or will have access to the personal property. Personal property means the business, furnishings and equipment. This can be a lease, sale agreement or other proof of ownership, or a signed or draft document.

Back to Top

Submitting the Application Packet

You will be working with the OLCC office that covers the city or county where your business will be located.  

Mail or deliver your completed application packet to the OLCC office that covers the city or county in Oregon where your business address is located.  Do not include the license fee at this time. 
If you need help completing your application, contact the OLCC office where you will be submitting your application packet.
OLCC Office Locations

Back to Top

City or County Approval

Once the OLCC has determined that your application packet is complete and accurate, we will begin working on your application. We will then give you some documents to you take to the local government for their recommendation.
  • The local government is the city if your business address is within the city limits; or
  • The local government is the county if your business address is outside of the city limits
Contact your city or county to make sure you understand their process. They generally will not review your application until it is accepted by OLCC.

Back to Top

90-Day Temporary Authority to Operate

If you are taking over a business that already has a liquor license and are ready to operate the business immediately, we may be able to issue a 90-Day Temporary Authority to Operate. 
Before the authority can be issued, you must:
  • Pay the license fee
  • Complete Law Orientation
  • Provide proof of Liquor Liability Insurance, if you will allow on-site consumption of alcohol, including tastings.

Back to Top

Liquor Liability Insurance

Liquor liability insurance is required for any business that allows on-premises consumption of alcohol. The OLCC will not issue a 90-Day Temporary Authority or license without proof of insurance.
The most common proof of insurance is an insurance certificate or ACORD form from your insurance agent. The form must show all of the following:
  • All applicant(s) as the named insured
  • Trade name of the business
  • Business address (not just the mailing address)
  • Liquor liability insurance
  • Coverage of at least $300,000 with no deductible
  • Coverage must be current 
  • OLCC is listed as a certificate holder

Back to Top

Required Training

Applicants for a Winery license must: 
  • Read Law Orientation for Winery Licenses.
  • Take and submit the Law Orientation Self Test for On-Premises Sales Licenses.
  • Take and submit the Law Orientation Self Test for Off-Premises Sales Licenses, if you will sell malt beverages, wine, or cider, for drinking off the premises.
  • If you will allow on-site consumption of alcohol including tastings, take and pass an Alcohol Server Education course: If you are applying as a legal entity (corporation or LLC) you must choose a person (server education designee) to take and pass the course on behalf of the legal entity. The server education designee must be a person with the authority to set, implement or change the licensee’s practices for selling and serving alcoholic beverages (usually an owner or a manager). 

Back to Top

For more information

You will be working with the OLCC office that covers the city or county where your business will be located. If you need help completing your application, or have additional questions, please contact the office where you will be submitting your application packet.
OLCC Office Locations

Back to Top