Completing the Application
- Omissions or false, misleading or deceptive information provided in applying for a license in Oregon is grounds for a $195 fine and further disciplinary action, including denial of your application.
- Complete the application yourself. Do not delegate this important task to someone else. If the information provided is incomplete or incorrect, it will delay licensure.
- Take your time and read all instructions carefully. If you have questions, contact us to assist you.
- Documents submitted to the Board will not be returned to you. Keep copies of all materials submitted for your own reference.
- Applications are valid for one year from the date first begun.
- Apply for the appropriate type and status of license. See License Definitions page or contact us if you have questions.
- Complete the online application using your full, legal name as it appears on birth, marriage, naturalization, or name change documents.
- Account for all periods of time since you graduated from medical/osteopathic/podiatric school to the present date.
- Provide full details, dates, complete names and addresses where requested.
The Application Process
- To speed the process, submit the application and fee before collecting the required documents. Licensing staff will identify the requirements specific to your application and determine whether you qualify for Expedited Endorsement.
- Once your application is submitted, paid for, and reviewed by staff, your Online Status Report will show outstanding items. Use it to keep track of the materials received by the Board and what is still needed to complete your license application.
- Select only one person (such as you or a recruiting agency) to follow the processing of your application. This minimizes contacts to the Board and speeds the process.
- Notify the Board immediately if your address or phone number changes.
- If your application does not meet licensure requirements or demonstrates an area of concern, the application may require review by the Administrative Affairs Committee with approval of licensure by the Board.
- Once your application file is complete, you will be notified to log in online to complete the initial registration process and pay the required registration fees.
- Licenses are granted weekly.
- Licenses are usually issued within one week after completing registration.
- When your license is granted, you will receive a certificate of registration, a wallet license card and a formal engrossed license.
- Once granted, a license can be verified immediately through the Board's license verification webpage.
Size of Documents: Documents submitted must be legible, no larger than 8 1/2 x 11 inches, and no smaller than 5 x 7 inches. If the original document is larger or smaller, please have the copy reduced or enlarged to 8 1/2 x 11 inches to show all wording, dates and signatures.
Copies of Original Documents: Do not submit original documents. They will not be returned to you. Copies do not need to be notarized and must be legible.
Official Translations: If any of your documents are in a foreign language, the Board requires a copy of the original document and an official, word-for-word translation. Acceptable translators include:
- An employee of a professional translating company,
- A member of the American Translation Association, or
- A faculty member of the modern languages or linguistics department of a United States college or university.
The translation must be on official letterhead and bear the translator's certification seal. Translations will not be returned to you. All information appearing on the document must also appear on the translation each time it appears on the original document. This includes pre-printed information, such as the letterhead of a university, titles, etc. The translation must be attached to the copy of the document being translated.
Federation Credentials Verification Service (OPTIONAL): The Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS) provides a service to physicians that gathers information and verifications of core credentials to be kept on file for use by state medical boards and other organizations. The documents in the FCVS profile may be used to satisfy some of the Board’s application requirements:
- Birth Certificate (if included in FCVS profile; a copy of your passport is not acceptable)
- Medical Education Verification
- Dean's Letter for US/Canadian Graduates (if included in FCVS profile)
- Transcripts for International Graduates (if included in FCVS profile)
- Post-Graduate Training Verification
- Exam Transcripts
The FCVS profile is NOT REQUIRED. The information received from FCVS does not include all items required by the Board. For more information visit the Federation of State Medical Board's website or call 1-888-ASK-FCVS.
Licensure by Endorsement:
Your application will be reviewed by Board staff to see if you qualify for licensure by expedited endorsement. For more information, see the Endorsement Information page
. If you qualify for licensure by endorsement, you may not be required to provide some of the documentation listed below.
Items to be sent from you, the applicant
- Birth Certificate: Provide a copy of official birth certificate or birth record. Hospital birth certificates are not acceptable. Your complete, legal name, including Jr., II, III, initial only, or no middle name, will be shown on your formal license, and all licensees must pursue their profession under their own name as it appears on the license. A copy of your passport, driver's license, etc., does not meet this requirement and cannot be accepted in lieu of the required birth certificate.
- Name Change (due to marriage, divorce, adoption, court order): If you have been known by names other than that exactly on your birth certificate, provide a copy of the legal documentation (marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption papers, or court order).
- Naturalization: It is a violation of law to copy a naturalization document. Instead, please complete the naturalization form provided by the Board with the number, date and place of naturalization. This form must be notarized and is available here.
Photograph: Provide a close-up passport quality photograph, front view, head and shoulders (not profile) taken within 90 days preceding the filing of the application.
Diploma: Provide a copy of your diploma showing graduation from a medical/osteopathic/podiatric school.
Request a Self-Query from the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB).
The results of the Self-Query will be mailed to you, and you must forward them to the Board. The report should be current and have been completed within the past three months.
Applicants must provide fingerprints in order for the Board to conduct a state and federal criminal records check. All fingerprints are processed through the Oregon State Police (OSP) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). For more information, visit the Fingerprint Requirements
Medical Practice Act Open-Book Examination:
The required MPA examination and open-book materials are available here
Special Purpose Examination (SPEX): Physician applicants (MD/DO) are expected to take the SPEX examination if:
- Completion of postgraduate training, specialty board certification or recertification was obtained 10 or more years prior to submitting an application for Oregon licensure, or
- The applicant ceased practice for 12 or more consecutive months immediately preceding the application.
If you wish to request a waiver of the SPEX examination, you must submit a request in writing and provide documentation of continuing medical education for the past 3 years or have a letter sent directly to the Board stating that you have been granted an appointment as a professor or associate professor at an Oregon medical or osteopathic medical school.
The Board may require other documentation or explanatory statements.
Items to be sent directly from the primary source
Fees charged by any other agencies to provide verification to the Board are your responsibility.
The following items must be:
- Fully completed with dates in month/day/year format.
- Currently dated.
- On letterhead, computer-generated form, or Board-provided form.
- Mailed in an institution envelope. Do NOT provide your own envelope.
- Faxed or e-mailed responses are not accepted.
Education Verification: Send the Verification of Medical Education form to the Dean/Registrar of each medical/osteopathic/podiatric school attended. The form must be completed fully, showing dates of attendance and exact date of graduation. The form must show any leaves of absence, repeated years, whether the student was accepted as a transfer student, etc. An official of the school must sign the form, and the school seal must be affixed.
Dean’s Letter: This letter is the one already in your medical school file, written by the Dean while you were a student at the school.
ECFMG Certification Verification (International Graduates Only):
Send the Request for Status Report of ECFMG Certification form to the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) for verification of your status. Verification of your status by the ECFMG and the examinations leading to this certification can also be obtained at https://cvsonline2.ecfmg.org/ImgGenInfo.asp
Fifth Pathway Program Verification (International Graduates Only): A letter is required from the Program Director, Chairman or other official of the Fifth Pathway hospital, sent directly to the Board verifying the beginning and ending dates of the Fifth Pathway and including an evaluation of overall performance.
Internship/Residency/Fellowship Verification: Send the Verification of Internship, Residency, Fellowship Training form to the Director of Medical Education, Residency Program Director, Chairman of the Department, or other official of all internship, residency, or fellowship hospitals. The response received must provide beginning and ending dates of training and must include an evaluation of overall performance.
Send the Verification of Practice, Employment, Staff Membership form to the Director or other official of each
hospital, clinic, facility, location, medical group, agency, etc., where you were employed, practiced, held staff privileges, and/or completed any and all locum tenens assignments in the past five (5) years.
This form, or a letter sent directly to the Board, must include beginning and ending dates of association and an evaluation of overall performance. Verifications of employment/practice from where you are currently employed or practicing that are dated more than three months prior to the receipt of your application by the Board must be re-submitted with a current verification. Only employment verifications for the past five (5) years are required unless you are advised otherwise by the Board.
Send the Verification of Licensure form to an official of the board in each state, province, or country where you have ever been licensed in any health related profession, even if you have never practiced there or if your license has lapsed there.
This form or a letter must show license number, date issued, grades if applicable, disciplinary actions (past and present), and current status. Do not request a verification of licensure of a temporary
license issued for the completion of a training program unless informed otherwise by the Board. Alternatively, MD and DO license applicants may use VeriDoc's online License Verification System
in lieu of the paper form for verification of United States licensure.
Federation of Podiatric Medical Boards Disciplinary Inquiry (Podiatrists Only): DPM applicants must go directly to the FPMB website and submit the Disciplinary Inquiry Report Form. The results are then mailed to the Board.
Official Exam Grade Transcript(s): Your licensing examination scores must be sent from source. The following are provided for your convenience.
If you took a licensing exam through another state board, request eupxam transcripts from that state board. You may use the Verification of Licensure and Certification of State Board Written Examination Grades form to request this.
Personal History Questions
If you answer "YES" to any personal history question, please furnish details and request source documents as indicated here