See Acupuncture Licensure Overview
for information on fees, licensure requirements, and the application and approval process.
Statutes and rules regulating the practice of acupuncture can be found in Chapter 677
of the Oregon Revised Statutes and the Oregon Administrative Rules, Chapter 847, Division 70.
Address all written correspondence to:
Oregon Medical Board
Acupuncture Licensing Program
1500 SW 1st Ave, Suite 620
Portland, OR 97201-5847
Please provide time for staff to process your application. Please review your Online Status Report before contacting the Board to inquire about your application.
Faxed verifications are not acceptable. APPLICATION FOR FULL LICENSURE - REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION:
Translations: If any of your documentation is in a language other than English, provide an official, word-for-word translation of that document. All translations must be on official letterhead. The following are acceptable translators:
- An employee of a professional translating company
- A member of the American Translators Association
- A faculty member of the modern languages or linguistic department of a United States college or university
LIMITED LICENSES: In all cases, the application file must be complete before a limited license can be granted.
Limited License, Postgraduate
Designed for applicants who meet all requirements for licensure with the exception of NCCAOM certification in acupuncture. This license allows the acupuncturist to obtain additional clinical training under the supervision of a Board approved clinical supervisor for a period of one year. To be eligible for permanent licensure, documentation of NCCAOM certification is required. The applicant may apply after a full license application has been submitted and deemed otherwise complete.
Limited License, Visiting Professor
Designed for applicants who have received a teaching position in an Oregon school of acupuncture and qualify for Oregon licensure with the exception of NCCAOM acupuncture certification. A person teaching under a Limited License, Visiting Professor who has five years experience as an acupuncturist is also eligible to become a clinical supervisor. The Limited License, Visiting Professor is granted for a one-year period, and may be renewed for two additional years.
Limited License, Special
This limited license is rarely granted at this point in time, given that the Board has delegated the authority for approval of unlimited licensure to the Executive Director on a weekly basis. Designed for applicants who meet all requirements for licensure and wish to practice before final approval is granted by the Board. In order for a Limited License, Special to be granted, the file for permanent licensure must be complete, and a completed Limited License, Special application form, and $75 fee must be received. A Limited License, Special is valid from the date of approval until the next scheduled Board meeting. The applicant may apply after a full license application has been submitted and deemed otherwise complete.
The Board looks forward to receiving your application and helping you through the licensure process. Please take a moment to Comment Online
or complete a Comment Form
regarding your experiences in downloading and completing the LAc application packet on-line. Your comments will enable us to more effectively provide you and other applicants with a better application process.
The forms included on this web site are in Portable Document Format (PDF). To view them, you must have Adobe Acrobat or a compatible reader on your computer.
- Click on the form you want to use. This will open it in Adobe.
- Select the hand tool.
- Position the pointer inside a form field, and click. The I-beam pointer allows you to type text. The arrow pointer allows you to select a button, a check box, a radio button, or an item from a list.
- After entering text or selecting an item, check box, or radio button, do one of the following:
- Press Tab to accept the form field change and go to the next form field.
- Press Shift+Tab to accept the form field change and go to the previous form field.
- Press Enter (Windows) or Return (Mac OS) to accept the form field change and deselect the current form field.
- When you have finished filling out the form, print the document and mail it to the OMB with any required payment. Don't forget to sign and date the form if applicable.
The OMB's mailing address is:
Oregon Medical Board
1500 SW 1st Ave. Suite 620
Portland, OR 97201