|PRACTICING UNDER A LOCUM TENENS LICENSE
As a licensee with Locum Tenens status, you are eligible to practice medicine in Oregon when you have notified the Board of the location and duration of your planned Oregon practice. You must notify the Board in advance in order to practice in Oregon (OAR 847-008-0020).
You may use this link (click here) to access a form to notify the Board of your Oregon Locum Tenens assignments. Feel free to photocopy it as needed. You may notify the Board by mail or fax.
Licensees who live outside of Oregon and do intermittent Locum Tenens (work) duty in Oregon are not eligible for Active status.
A licensee with Locum Tenens status may practice in Oregon for 240 days consecutively or intermittently within the biennial period. A licensee with Locum Tenens status who wishes to practice in Oregon for longer than 240 days in the biennium will need to reactivate their license to Active status. Contact Board staff immediately to begin the reactivation process.
A license with Locum Tenens status must be renewed biennially. If you do not practice in Oregon during each biennium, you are no longer eligible for Locum Tenens status. Your license will return to Inactive status at the time of registration renewal.
Board staff is unable to acknowledge your Locum Tenens notification in writing.
Please use specific dates for beginning and ending dates. Terms like ‘on-going’ or ‘current’ are not acceptable.
Please include the location where you will be practicing medicine, rather than the business or billing office.
Oregon Administrative Rule 847-008-0020:
Locum Tenens Registration
(1) Any licensee whose official state of residence is a state other than Oregon who proposes to practice intermittently within the State shall register and pay the biennial locum tenens registration fee.
(2) The licensee practicing in Oregon with a locum tenens registration status may practice for a period not longer than two hundred and forty consecutive days in the biennium, or a total of two hundred and forty days on an intermittent basis in the biennium. A licensee practicing in Oregon with a locum tenens registration status who wishes to reactivate to active registration status, may be granted an additional ninety days to complete the reactivation process.
(3) A licensee who registers as locum tenens and who does not practice in Oregon during the biennium, shall be registered as inactive at the time of registration renewal, and shall be required to reactivate to locum tenens registration status prior to practicing in Oregon.
(4) Requirements, procedures, and fees for Locum Tenens registration shall be the same as for active registration.
(5) Any licensee registered as locum tenens shall notify the Board of the location and duration of each Oregon practice prior to beginning such practice. (Emphasis added.)