Full text nominations for Oregon properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places within the last six months can be found below. If a property is not listed below, please contact Tracy Zeller at (503) 986-0690 for an electronic or paper copy.
A complete list of inventoried and National Register-listed properties is available online through the Oregon Historic Sites Database.
|Fish Lake Guard Station, Linn County, McKenzie Bridge, Listed June 27, 2014|
Built by the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) for the Santiam National Forest (later Willamette National Forest) between 1906 and 1934, the centrally-located Fish Lake Guard Station provided fire crews and Forest staff with an administrative base and pack animal remount station from which to provide conservation management for the forest and fire protection. Later, the Fish Lake Guard Station served as an essential catalyst in managing designated wilderness areas near the Willamette National Forest after the passage of the Wilderness Act. Signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on September 3, 1964, the Wilderness Act mandated that the National Park Service, USFS, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service review all lands under their jurisdiction and designate appropriate tracts as National Wilderness areas to be protected in their natural condition. The station’s rustic-style buildings are representative examples of USFS administrative architecture built by Forest employees and the CCC using USFS and CCC plans and rustic design, made with local, natural materials to blend with the surrounding landscape.
-->Download the Fish Lake Guard Station nomination [pdf]
-->View record in the Oregon Historic Sites Database [link]
The Oregon City Municipal Elevator is a 130-foot-tall, public elevator tower rising from an underground tunnel in historic downtown Oregon City to connect with the city’s second level atop a bluff to the east. The elevator is a Modern, reinforced concrete structure designed by Gordon E. Trapp and constructed by the Portland engineering firm of James & Yost in 1955. This unique structure was designed to be futuristic in style and incorporates minimal ornament. Possibly its most spectacular feature is the views from the viewing platform. A unique series of prints installed on the platform walls provides changing, historical views of the downtown and the Willamette River that complements the 300-degree view. The elevator is integrated with the McLoughlin Promenade and the Grand Staircase extending from the bluff to the downtown, which are also listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
|Oregon City Municipal Elevator, Clackamas County, Oregon City, Listed May 15, 2014|
-->Download the Oregon City Municipal Elevator nomination [pdf]
--> View record in the Oregon Historic Sites Database [link]
|Oregon City Carnegie Library, Clackamas County, Oregon City, Listed May 15, 2014|
The Oregon City Carnegie Library was constructed in 1913 with funding from steel magnet Andrew Carnegie. It is one of over 1,500 libraries built throughout the country by the philanthropist. Designed in the American Renaissance style, this handsome, brick-clad structure has served Oregon City nearly continuously from its construction to the present. A restoration in 2010 removed an addition to the building, bringing it back to its original appearance.
-->Download the Oregon City Carnegie Library nomination [pdf]
-->View record in the Oregon Historic Sites Database [link]
|McLoughlin Promenade, Clackamas County, Oregon City, Listed May 15, 2014|
The McLoughlin Promenade, a historic park site along the edge of Oregon City’s prominent bluff, was constructed on land donated for that purpose by Dr. John McLoughlin in 1851. It consists of three major parts: a 2,300-foot-long basalt stone and concrete pathway that runs along the bluff; the Grand Staircase, which traverses the bluff; and Singer Falls, a man-made waterfall with five separate tiers that takes Singer Creek from the top of the bluff, down the cliff face, to the historic downtown. The Promenade was constructed with the help of the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression and was completed in 1939. Pedestrians can also travel from the top of the bluff to the downtown in this area via the Oregon City Municipal Elevator, which is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Promenade was recently restored and a new art installation added at the base of the Falls in 2011. These facilities, along with the spectacular views from the Promenade, ensure the continued popularity of this site with visitors and residents alike.
-->Download the McLoughlin Promenade nomination [pdf]
-->View record in the Oregon Historic Sites Database [link]
|Astoria Marine Construction Company, Clatsop County, Astoria, Listed January 8, 2014|
Located at 92134 Front Road where the where the Lewis & Clark River meets Jeffers Slough, the Astoria Marine Construction Company (AMCCO) Historic District is situated in a relatively rural area called Jeffers Gardens, separated from the city of Astoria by Youngs Bay. Joseph Dyer, Acme Mansker, and Clair Mansker established AMCCO, originally called Astoria Shipbuilding, in 1922. The company initially built fishing boats and luxury sailing vessels. During World War II and the Korean War, AMCCO was awarded multiple military contracts. In order to build these larger ships for the United States Navy, the shipyard expanded dramatically. The majority of the district’s extant buildings were constructed in 1941 and 1942. The shipyard became best known during the Korean War, when in 1952 it was the lead shipyard in the country to construct a specific type of ocean-going minesweeper. AMCCO is predominately made up of industrial buildings and structures, each built to serve a specific function in the operation of a shipyard, including a large boat shop complex, a machine shop complex, an office, four marine ways, a dock complex, and an assortment of ancillary support buildings. Today the small shipyard is largely intact, having lost only a few buildings. The company continues to operate, mainly repairing fishing vessels.
|Rinehart Building, Multnomah County, Portland, Listed December 24 2013|
The two-story blond-brick Rinehart Building was constructed in 1910 along an important streetcar line in Portland’s historic Albina neighborhood. It is notable as one of the few remaining commercial buildings in Albina associated with the social and cultural fabric of the African American community. In 1939 Albina was already home to the majority of Portland’s African American population. The number of African Americans in Portland swelled during WWII to fill the large number of war-time shipbuilding jobs, and discriminatory housing practices funneled these new residents to the Albina area. After the war, African American-owned businesses along Williams Avenue flourished. The Rinehart Building was home to a number of African American-owned enterprises, including the Cleo-Lilliann Social Club. Begun in the 1950s, the Club served as a community and charitable organization that provided entertainment, social support, and fundraising, and was a forum for community activism. The Club hosted many notable African American musicians, such as B. B. King and George Foreman. When the Club closed in 2001 it was considered to be one of the oldest African American social organizations of its kind in Oregon.
|Salvation Army Industrial Home, Multnomah Co, Portland, Listed December 5, 2013
The three-story Salvation Army Industrial Home building was constructed in 1893 and expanded and
remodeled in 1930 to the plans of architect Frederick Manson White. The structure, which is now a contributing building in the East Portland Grand Avenue Historic District, was used by the Salvation Army to provide work and shelter for homeless, unemployed men beginning in 1913. It served as a place where residents would sort and prepare recyclable and reusable items for re-sale, and was Portland’s longest running second-hand charity shop until 2010, when it was closed. The building is currently being rehabilitated for retail uses.
|Petersen Rock Garden, Deschutes County, Redmond, Listed October 30, 2013
Petersen Rock Garden was designed and constructed by Danish immigrant Rasmus Christian Petersen from about the time he retired from farming, in the winter of 1935-36 until his death in 1952. Located in rural Deschutes County between the cities of Redmond and Bend, Petersen Rock Garden was open to the public from the beginning, with only a suggested donation. The year of his death a reported 200,000 people visited the popular site.
Petersen constructed the garden features from volcanic and river rock and semi-precious stones that he collected from around the region and the country, which he assembled into sculptures and vignettes that expressed his personal visions and views, such as his Statue of Liberty, as well as fanciful buildings and narratives. He also built a museum on the site to showcase the more interesting stones in his collection, including his collection of fluorescent minerals. Petersen developed the rock garden on his original homestead, which he settled in 1906. Today the property is about twelve acres in size, with the gardens occupying approximately four acres, which also include ponds and other water features, Petersen’s own Craftsman bungalow, his workshop where he constructed the features, the museum, a restaurant from the 1950s, and landscape features. Today Petersen Rock Garden is owned and operated by a descendent of the family, and is still open to the public.
|North Palestine Baptist Church, Benton Co., Adair Village, Listed September 30, 2013|
The ca. 1883 North Palestine Baptist Church was constructed by the North Palestine Baptist congregation, and served as their church until the mid-1930s. The building was later used as a community gathering place for organizations such as the Willing Workers, organized in 1916 by the farm women from the surrounding areas. The group provided a welcome support system for women and families who were living in a relatively isolated rural setting. The Palestine Baptist Church is recognized as an intact example of rural vernacular ecclesiastical architecture, effectively blending characteristics of the Gothic Revival and Classical Revival in a modest building. Although the North Palestine Church was built a generation after the earliest church buildings appeared in Oregon, its construction method, detailing, and overall character is similar to earlier settlement-era buildings.
Completed in 1914, the Enterprise Public Library is recognized as an important community institution that represents the City’s commitment to continuing public education and as a representative example of a Carnegie Library. The Library was constructed with a $5,000 grant from the Carnegie Corporation, founded by steel magnate Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie financially supported the construction of hundreds of free libraries across the country between 1886 and 1917 because he believed that free public libraries played an important role in social betterment of the people they served. In exchange for the grant, the City of Enterprise committed to providing a building site, $500 for the annual operating budget, and to follow the Carnegie Corporation’s construction guidelines. The Enterprise Public Library includes many of the characteristics of Carnegie-funded libraries, including Classical Revival styling and brick construction. Also typical of Carnegie Libraries is the location of the reading room on the main floor with windows set above the open book shelves, a centrally located circulation desk, and public meeting space in the basement.
|Enterprise Public Library, Wallowa County, Enterprise, Listed September 30, 2013|
|Harry A. & Ada Green House, Multnomah County, Portland, Listed September 30, 2013|
The Harry A. and Ada Green House was designed by master architect Herman Brookman in 1928 for Portland furniture magnate Harry Green, second president of Doernbecher Furniture Manufacturing Co. The Green House is recognized as a premier example of Brookman’s work and one of the best expressions of the Spanish Eclectic Style in the state, exhibiting Brookman's characteristic exploration of architectural style, design ingenuity, personalization of details, and his commitment to fine craftsmanship. The 10,061 square-foot house sits on an estate encompassing three city lots abutting Laurelhurst Park. The design included all the latest modern conveniences and the highest quality materials and craftsmanship, and every detail was carefully designed by Brookman – from the overall sprawling form and irregular massing of the building to the highly crafted interiors and detailed site design. Specialty craftsmen, such as master artist Iohan Konrad Tuerck, were commissioned to create the elaborate wrought-iron work, wood carvings, stone and plaster castings, and light fixtures throughout the building. Unique to this particular residence are the exotic revival details, including imported African faience tiles, Egyptian shell, leaf, and flower motifs, and Moorish patterns and forms.
|Salem Pioneer Cemetery, Marion County, Salem, Listed September 11, 2013|
The cemetery, established in 1854 by Chemeketa Lodge No. 1, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is among the very oldest fraternal society burial grounds in Oregon. Located on South Commercial Street, the historical alignment of the territorial road, the cemetery rises upslope toward the west, to a point overlooking the Willamette Valley to the east. By 1890 the cemetery had been enlarged to its current size of 17.05 acres, representing the city’s only example of a cemetery in the Rural Cemetery tradition. It is known as the final resting place of Samuel R. Thurston, Oregon’s first delegate to the Congress of the United States, and as the burial ground of many other significant figures in early Oregon government and the founding of the capital city’s educational, social and commercial institutions. The Salem Pioneer Cemetery Association, organized in 1949, changed the cemetery’s name before disbanding in 1954. Today the cemetery is under the on-going stewardship of the City of Salem and the Friends of Pioneer Cemetery. It remains an active burial ground for the descendants of original plot owners.
|Lamson Ranch, Yamhill County, ADDRESS RESTRICTED, Listed July 9, 2013|
Jeremiah and Helen Hawks Lamson arrived in present-day Yamhill County Willamette in late summer 1848 and were among the area’s earliest settlers. The Lamson family established their claim in the (CITY REDACTED) area and built a cabin, and later a house and barn, among other buildings over several years. Quickly becoming locally influential, the Lamson’s developed a successful ranching operation and participated in local and Territorial Government. The family was also peripherally associated with the establishment and maintenance of nearby Fort Yamhill and had business dealings with the Grand Ronde Agency. The remaining ranch buildings, specifically the house and barn, are now-rare examples of their respective types. The circa-1850 barn is an extremely rare surviving example from the settlement-era, which at the time of its construction was one of the largest barns in the Willamette Valley. The 1880-1883 Gothic Revival residence, the third dwelling on the property, is a virtually intact example of the rural Oregon interpretation of that style, retaining many exterior and interior features from the period of its construction.
owners request. For more information, please contact the State Historic Preservation Office)
|Oak Hills Historic District, Washington County, Beaverton, Listed July 10, 2013|
The Oak Hills Historic District in Beaverton, an early experiment of the late 1960s in planned communities in Oregon, set precedents for implementing self-governance in suburban developments through homeowner associations, progressive master planning, and flexible land use codes and regulations in Washington County. Composed of nearly 650 single family and townhouse properties, Oak Hills is a mix of mid-century modern homes, open and recreational space, with trails and pedestrian paths throughout, extensive landscaping, and a widely-used cluster of community buildings. It epitomizes the best in post-war development, emphasizing varying residential densities, mixed uses, the incorporation of open space, and land conservation. The district is the first mid-century modern historic district listed in Oregon and is one of youngest post-war mid-century modern residential districts listed in the National Register.
|Joseph Henry Moser Barn, Marion County, Silverton, Listed June 14, 2013|
Already a successful farmer, Joseph Henry Moser moved to the quickly growing town of Silverton and opened a blacksmith shop in 1885, and later a livery. Often located in urban areas, liveries provided a vital service before the advent of the automobile by boarding horses and renting wagons, carriages, and other vehicles. Built in 1910, just north of Moser’s home, the Moser Barn served as a secondary stable to store wagons, animals, and supplies not immediately needed at the downtown livery. Of German descent himself, Moser constructed a wood-framed three-story bank barn, a traditional German design that allowed for access on multiple levels by constructing the building on a slope. The multi-story design allowed feed to be easily unloaded by wagon at the top floor and dropped to the floors below. The lower level housed livestock. Constructed with efficiency and cost-effectiveness in mind, inexpensive pre-sawn lumber was used to create a “light” frame that maximized interior open space, in contrast to agricultural barns constructed of heavy posts and beams. By 1914 automobiles became the preferred method of transportation, and shortly thereafter the family business shifted to moving buildings, a task still largely accomplished by draft animals. The Moser Barn is the last remaining urban barn within Silverton’s city limits.
-->Download the Joseph Henry Moser Barn nomination
|Peter & Bertha Soderberg House, Marion County, Silverton, Listed June 14, 2013|
The 1921 Soderberg House is a representative example of a side-gabled Craftsman bungalow in Silverton, a popular architectural style throughout the country in the first part of the twentieth century. Originally from Sweden, Peter Soderberg and his wife Bertha moved with their families to the Unites States in the late 19th century, and were married in 1882. The couple farmed first in Nebraska, and later purchased the Silverton property in 1920. The bungalow has its origins in the English Arts and Crafts movement, and was made popular in America, in part, by the designs of brothers Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Greene in Southern California. These designs, among many others, quickly spread throughout the country through the publication of plans in architectural journals, popular magazines, and plan books making the Craftsman style the dominant style in America until the 1930s. Typical of the Craftsman Bungalow style, the Soderberg House has a rectangular footprint; open, wide eaves with knee braces; full-width front porch under the main roof; broad shed dormer; exposed rafter beams; a short projecting (also called cantilevered) bay; and multi-light wood windows, among other details.
-->Download the Peter & Bertha Soderberg House nomination