Feb. 5, 2014
The Astoria Marine Construction Company in Astoria is Oregon’s latest entry in the National Register of Historic Places.
Located at 92134 Front Road where the where the Lewis & Clark River meets Jeffers Slough, the Astoria Marine Construction Company (AMCCO) Historic District is situated in a relatively rural area called Jeffers Gardens, separated from the city of Astoria byYoungs Bay. Joseph Dyer, Acme Mansker, and Clair Mansker established AMCCO, originally called Astoria Shipbuilding, in 1922. The company initially built fishing boats and luxury sailing vessels. During World War II and the Korean War, AMCCO was awarded multiple military contracts. In order to build these larger ships for the United States Navy, the shipyard expanded dramatically. The majority of the district’s extant buildings were constructed in 1941 and 1942. The shipyard became best known during the Korean War, when in 1952 it was the lead shipyard in the country to construct a specific type of ocean-going minesweeper. AMCCO is predominately made up of industrial buildings and structures, each built to serve a specific function in the operation of a shipyard, including a large boat shop complex, a machine shop complex, an office, four marine ways, a dock complex, and an assortment of ancillary support buildings. Today the small shipyard is largely intact, having lost only a few buildings. The company continues to operate, mainly repairing fishing vessels.
Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the building’s nomination in June 2013. More than 40 historic Astoria properties are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon listings is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of page).