Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image
Hobson-Gehlen General Store listed in National Register of Historic Places

June 10, 2013

The Hobson-Gehlen General Store in Stayton, Oregon is among Oregon’s latest entries in the National Register of Historic Places.

The Hobson-Gehlen General Store is the oldest and only remaining wood-frame commercial building in the city of Stayton, and is important for its long association with the commercial development and activities of that community.  The building was constructed ca 1885 by William H. Hobson for use as a general merchandise store.  It remained in this use under different ownerships until 1924, after which it housed several auto-related uses and served as a welding shop.  The two-story, Italianate building now presents a front-gable roof-line to the street, the typical false-front that it previously displayed having been removed following damage from the 1962 Columbus Day storm.  In commercial use again today, the building represents the last remnant of the community’s nineteenth century commercial core. 

Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the building’s nomination in their February 2013 meeting.  Over 100 properties in Marion Count are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.

More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of page).