August 8, 2013
The Lamson Ranch in the Willamina vicinity is Oregon's latest entry in the National Register of Historic Places.
Jeremiah and Helen Hawks Lamson arrived in present-day Yamhill County Willamette in late summer 1848 and were among the area's earliest settlers. The Lamson family established their claim in the Willamina area and built a cabin, and later a house and barn, among other buildings over several years. Quickly becoming locally influential, the Lamson's developed a successful ranching operation and participated in local and Territorial Government. The family was also peripherally associated with the establishment and maintenance of nearby Fort Yamhill and had business dealings with the Grand Ronde Agency. The remaining ranch buildings, specifically the house and barn, are now-rare examples of their respective types. The circa-1850 barn is an extremely rare surviving example from the settlement-era, which at the time of its construction was one of the largest barns in the Willamette Valley. The 1880-1883 Gothic Revival residence, the third dwelling on the property, is a virtually intact example of the rural Oregon interpretation of that style, retaining many exterior and interior features from the period of its construction.
Oregon's State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the nomination of the Lamson Ranch in February 2013. More than 80 historic Yamhill County properties are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon listings is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on "National Register" at left of page).