Jan. 14, 2014
The Salvation Army Industrial Home building in the East Portland Grand Avenue Historic District is among Oregon’s latest entries in the National Register of Historic Places.
The three-story Salvation Army Industrial Home building was constructed in 1893 and expanded and remodeled in 1930 to the plans of architect Frederick Manson White. The structure, which is now a contributing building in the East Portland Grand Avenue Historic District, was used by the Salvation Army to provide work and shelter for homeless, unemployed men beginning in 1913. It served as a place where residents would sort and prepare recyclable and reusable items for re-sale, and was Portland’s longest running second-hand charity shop until 2010, when it was closed. The building is currently being rehabilitated for retail uses.
Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the expansion of the East Portland Grand Avenue Historic District to accommodate the Salvation Army building in their October 2013 meeting. It is now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of page).