April 17, 2013
The Waverley Country- Club Clubhouse in Portland is Oregon’s latest entry in the National Register of Historic Places.
Designed by the renowned architectural firm of Whitehouse & Fouilhoux in 1913, the Waverley Country-Club Clubhouse is an excellent and largely intact example of a country-club clubhouse, embodying the distinctive characteristics of this building type. Located in unincorporated Clackamas County, it is also the earliest extant example of a country-club clubhouse within the Portland metropolitan area and Clackamas County. The Whitehouse firm, which was also responsible for the 1930 addition to the building, designed many of the most important buildings in Portland and the state in the first half of the century. Forty-six of Morris Whitehouse’s buildings are noted in the State’s historic sites inventory and fifteen within the Portland metropolitan area are listed in the National Register of Historic Places, including the Temple Beth Israel, Sixth Church of Christ Scientist, Federal Courthouse, Lincoln and Jefferson high schools, Multnomah Athletic Club and Multnomah Stadium, University Club, and Waverley Country-Club. Despite a prolific and highly regarded career, only two of Whitehouse’s buildings have been identified to date in Clackamas County: The first is the Waverley Country-Club; the second is the c. 1930 Elizabeth Clark House in Oregon City. The Waverley Country-Club Clubhouse, which exhibits a high degree of integrity, is considered an outstanding example of Whitehouse & Fouilhoux’s work.
Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the building’s nomination in February 2013. More than 550 historic Portland properties are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon listings is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of page).
Contact: Diana Painter, (503) 986-0668