June 10, 2013
The Fossil Public School in eastern Oregon is among Oregon’s latest entries in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Fossil Public School was constructed in 1924 and has remained in active use as a school in the city of Fossil ever since. Sited on a small rise overlooking the city, the two-story Classical Revival building occupies a place of prominence in the town, on a site that has been the location of the Fossil school since the land was donated for that purpose in 1882. Designed by the Portland firm of DeYoung and Roald Architects, the Fossil Public School was the only school in Fossil until a new high school was constructed in 1949. The school is significant for the role it has played in the educational development of this rural community’s citizens since its construction. The gymnasium associated with the school, which was constructed with Works Progress Administration funds in 1936, has long hosted community events and also contributes to this historic property.
Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the building’s nomination in their February 2013 meeting. Over 100 properties in Marion County are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of page).