Oct. 29, 2013
The North Palestine Baptist Church in Adair Village, Benton County is among Oregon’s latest entries in the National Register of Historic Places.
The ca. 1883 North Palestine Baptist Church was constructed by the North Palestine Baptist congregation, and served as their church until the mid-1930s. The building was later used as a community gathering place for organizations such as the Willing Workers, organized in 1916 by the farm women from the surrounding areas. The group provided a welcome support system for women and families who were living in a relatively isolated rural setting. The Palestine Baptist Church is recognized as an intact example of rural vernacular ecclesiastical architecture, effectively blending characteristics of the Gothic Revival and Classical Revival in a modest building. Although the North Palestine Church was built a generation after the earliest church buildings appeared in Oregon, its construction method, detailing, and overall character is similar to earlier settlement-era buildings.
Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the building’s nomination at their June 2013 meeting. Over 100 historic properties in Benton County are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of page).