The Oregon State Board of Geologist Examiners (Board) regulates the public practice of geology (ORS 672.505 to ORS 672.705), which includes the conduct of geologists registered or certified with the OSBGE, as stated in the Code of Professional Conduct (OAR 809, Division 20):
“A geologist shall be guided by the highest standards of ethics, honesty, integrity, fairness, personal honor, and professional conduct. To the fullest extent possible a geologist shall protect the public health and welfare and property in carrying out professional duties.” (OAR 809-020-001)
The main purpose of the Board is to protect the public by enforcing the Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) and the Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) administered by the OSBGE. Complaints may or may not result in formal charges as provided in ORS 672.665.
Complaints can be submitted to the attention of the Board in the following ways:
By a letter which includes the following information:
- name of person you are filing the complaint against, name, address, and e-mail of person’s business
- your name, address, phone, and e-mail
- a statement of facts relating to the alleged violation
- a declaration under penalty of perjury as follows: “I hereby declare under penalty of perjury that the above statements and information are true to the best of my knowledge, information, and belief, and that I am providing these statements and information for purposes of ORS 672.665 to prefer charges against the above named registrant(s).” Your signature and date must follow this statement to complete this declaration and for the OSBGE to process your complaint. Your complaint will not be processed if the signed declaration is not included. It will be returned to you and you will be asked to add the declaration and resubmit your complaint.
- By filling in the online complaint form: After completing the form, please print out, sign, date, and send to the Board. (The form requires an Adobe reader which is free and which can be downloaded from Adobe.)
- By requesting a complaint form from Board staff: When completed, sign, date, and mail to the Board.
Board staff will acknowledge complaints received. Complaints are routed to the Board’s Compliance Coordinator. The Coordinator, with the assistance of staff, reviews and investigates the complaint, which may include gathering information and records about the allegations, consulting technical reviewers, interviewing witnesses or persons involved, and contacting others if necessary. The Board decides how to proceed, which could include proposing formal action, requesting further investigation, or closing the case. This procedure is outlined in the complaint process flowchart that is located on the Board’s website and reflects procedures related to the board’s regulatory enforcement process stated in ORS 672.505 to ORS 672.705 and OAR 809, Division 55.
For inquires about the complaint process or other aspects of the Board’s regulatory enforcement process, please contact the Administrator at (503) 566-2837. OSBGE’s address and other contact information can be located on the OSBGE website home page under “Contact Us.”
For complaint cases that involve engineering geology, the Board also evaluates whether the complaint needs to be evaluated by the Joint Compliance Committee (JCC). The JCC is comprised of
representatives from both OSBGE and the Oregon State Board of Examiners for
Engineering and Land Surveying (OSBEELS). The JCC reviews
complaints in the overlap practice area of engineering and engineering geology
and, as appropriate, makes recommendations to OSBGE and OSBEELS about findings
in complaint investigations. The JCC process
is outlined in the JCC flowchart. JCC meeting notices, agendas, and meeting
summaries are maintained on the OSBEELS website. Please note that since the JCC meets
infrequently, there can be some delay in the Committee approval (and therefore
posting ) of meeting summaries.
Actions of the Board