|Chapter 357 - Libraries; Archives; Poet Laureate
357.400 Definitions for ORS 357.400 to 357.621. As used in ORS 357.400 to 357.621:
(1) "Governing body" means the board, commission, council or other body which governs the local government unit.
(2) "Local government unit" means any city, county, library service district established under ORS chapter 451, school district, community college district or a library district established under ORS 357.216 to 357.286.
(3) "Public library" or "public library system" means a public agency responsible for providing and making accessible to all residents of a local government unit library and information services suitable to persons of all ages.
357.410 Authority of local government units for public libraries.
Any local government unit may:
(1) Establish, equip and maintain a public library.
(2) Contract with an established public library or with a private society or corporation owning and controlling a secular or nonsectarian library for the purpose of providing free use of the library for the residents of the local government unit, under such terms and conditions as may be agreed upon.
(3) Contract with one or more units of local government or library boards pursuant to ORS 190.003 to 190.620 to provide jointly a public library or public library service or share in the use of facilities, under such terms and conditions as may be agreed upon.
(4) Enter into an interstate library agreement pursuant to Article VI of the Interstate Library Compact (ORS 357.340).
(5) Contract with the Trustees of the State Library for assistance in establishing, improving or extending public library service.
(6) Levy annually and cause to be collected, as other general taxes are collected, a tax upon the taxable property in the local government unit to provide a library fund to be used exclusively to maintain such library.
(7) Levy and cause to be collected, as other taxes are collected, a special tax upon the taxable property in the local government unit, or contract bonded indebtedness under the provisions of ORS chapter 287 to provide a public library building fund to be used exclusively for the purchase of real property for public library purposes and for the erection and equipping of public library buildings including branch library buildings.
(8) Levy or impose such other taxes as may be authorized to the unit by city charter or the charter of a home-rule county.