|Chapter 357 - Libraries; Archives; Poet Laureate
357.520 Annual report.
Each public library established under ORS 357.417 shall make an annual report to the State Library and to the governing body on a form supplied by the State Library.
357.525 Election to authorize local option tax.
(1) A local option tax for any of the purposes stated in ORS 357.410, 357.417 or 357.490 shall be submitted at an election as provided in this section. The governing body of the local government unit:
(a) May order the election on its own resolution; or
(b) Shall order the election when a petition is filed as provided in this section.
(2) The resolution or the petition calling the election under this section shall state the purpose for which the funds are to be expended, the period during which the proposed taxes are to be levied and the amount to be levied each year, which amount shall be uniform throughout the period of levy.
(3) Except as provided in subsections (4) and (5) of this section, the requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition:
(a) In the case of a county, in ORS 250.165 to 250.235.
(b) In the case of a city, in ORS 250.265 to 250.346.
(c) In the case of any other local government unit, in ORS 255.135 to 255.205.
(4) If ORS 250.265 to 250.346 apply to a city, then notwithstanding ORS 250.325, the city governing body shall submit the local option tax question to the electors without first considering its adoption or rejection.
(5) If ORS 250.155 makes ORS 250.165 to 250.235 inapplicable to a county or if ORS 250.255 makes ORS 250.265 to 250.346 inapplicable to a city, the requirements for preparing, circulating and filing a petition under this section shall be as provided for an initiative petition under the county or city charter or an ordinance adopted under the county or city charter.
(6) The notice, time and manner of election shall be governed by the applicable provisions of ORS chapter 250 and:
(a) In the case of a county or city, ORS chapters 246 to 260.
(b) In the case of any other local government unit, ORS chapter 255.
(7) Upon approval by a majority of the electors voting at the election, the taxing unit shall levy each year during the approved period the amount so approved. The tax proceeds shall be handled as provided by ORS 357.410 or 357.430, or as otherwise provided by law.
357.610 Conformity to ORS 357.400 to 357.621 by libraries organized prior to enactment of those statutes; effect on executed library contracts.
(1) Libraries organized under Oregon laws prior to September 13, 1975, are continued, and may have their organizations changed so as to conform to ORS 357.001 to 357.200, 357.330, 357.360, 357.400 to 357.621, 357.975 and 357.990 by resolution of the governing body of the local government unit which established the library. The resolution shall outline the procedure necessary to be taken for such change.
(2) Nothing contained in ORS 357.001 to 357.200, 357.330, 357.360, 357.400 to 357.621, 357.975 and 357.990 shall affect nor change the terms of any library contract executed prior to September 13, 1975. However, by mutual consent, the parties to the contract may amend the contract so as to make it conform to all or any of the provisions of ORS 357.001 to 357.200, 357.330, 357.360, 357.400 to 357.621, 357.975 and 357.990.
357.621 Public hearings required prior to abolishing or withdrawing support from public library.
No governing body which has established a public library under the laws of this state shall abolish or withdraw support for such library without first holding at least two public hearings on the matter at least 90 days apart. The governing body shall give public notice of the public hearing in a newspaper of general circulation in the area for two successive weeks at least 30 days prior to the first hearing.