Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image

Harriet C. Long (1930-1941)
State Librarian Harriet C. Long
On October 15th, 1930, Harriet Long became the third State Librarian.  During her tenure as State Librarian the State Library experienced many momentous changes. 
 
In 1932, the Pratt-Smoot Act was signed creating the National Library Service for the Blind. Oregon, to comply with this act, created the Blind and Physically Handicapped Services which was housed at Mutnomah County Library.  (This service was transferred to the Oregon State Library in 1969, and the name was changed to Talking Book and Braille Services in the 1980s.)
 
At this time the State Library also sponsored a statewide Works Progress Administration (WPA) project that employed between 120-135 WPA workers to drive bookmobiles, clean and repair books, staff service desks, and do outreach to community organizations.
 
Cramped and crowded conditions within the Supreme Court building led to a special session of the legislature in November of 1932, which created the State Capitol Reconstruction Commission to oversee the construction of a new State Capitol and State Library.  The Works Progress Administration donated funds for a new building, but due to limits in the Oregon Constitution the state was unable to accept the money allocated.  As a result, the legislature passed HB 495 on March 10, 1937.  This bill empowered the board of control to accept federal aid, (which included WPA funds) for work on state institutions..
 
In March of 1937, the legislature appropriated $550,000 for the State Library project and $450,000 was made available through the WPA.  Construction of the new library began in 1938, and was the first building, besides the capitol, to be built on what is now known as the Capitol Mall.  On the site was the former Cooke-Patton House, built by Edwin N. Cooke, Oregon’s first state treasurer.  It was razed to the ground in 1938 to make way for the new library.  The State Library was completed in 1939, with the final cost totaling $825,000. 
 
At the dedication of the State Library, other tenants of the building included the Department of Education, the State Board of Vocational Education, World War Veterans State Aid Commission, and the Bureau of Labor.  One of many features of interest at the new library was a “model school library,” which was intended to show local school officials what a modern school library could offer.
 
Harriet Long passed away on July 4th, 1941, and Mirpah Blair served as the acting State Librarian for a third time until Eleanor Stephens began in November of 1941.  In that same year the Oregon State Library Donation Fund was created and the first donation was handed to Governor Charles A Sprague for $1,000 by the sisters of Harriet Long. 

 
To view historic photos from 1930-1941 follow the link below:
 
Photos 1930-1941
 
To see the full text of Governor Charles H. Martin's speech at the cornerstone laying, and the dedication by Cornelia Marvin follow the links below:
 
Cornerstone Laying
State Library Dedication