February 7, 2013
Trooper Evan Sether
Oregon State Police - Springfield
(541) 726-2536 ext 439
A multi-agency law enforcement effort is planned for Eugene and the surrounding Lane County area Friday night, February 8, aimed to deter and remove intoxicated drivers. Officers from police departments in Eugene, Springfield, Junction City, the Lane County Sheriff's Office and Oregon State Police are forming a team of ten police officers from the 5 agencies targeting impaired drivers Friday night into early Saturday morning.
Law enforcement officials are pre-announcing the organized team effort and urging people to choose a sober designated driver before any drinking starts. Anyone attending an area event or going to a local sports bar or restaurant is asked to remember these tips to keep you and others safe:
* Volunteer or designate your sober driver before leaving home.
* If you don't have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, friend or family member to come and get you.
* Never let a friend leave your sight if you think they are about to drive while impaired.
* Use safety restraints and have children in appropriate safety and booster seats.
* Report possible intoxicated drivers to 9-1-1 or Oregon State Police dispatch at 1-800-24DRUNK (800-243-7856).
Media ride-along requests should be directed to one of the listed participating law enforcement agencies.