February 20, 2013
Lieutenant Gregg Hastings
Public Information Officer
(503) 731-3020 ext 247
As part of the two-week statewide effort targeting texting, speeding and proper safety belt use, police officers from Portland Police Bureau (PPB), Multnomah County Sheriff's Office (MCSO), Clackamas County Sheriff's Office
(CCSO), and Oregon State Police (OSP) teamed together February 20th for a multi-agency joint traffic enforcement effort. Over 30 police officers focused enforcement efforts along SE 82nd Avenue, Interstate 205, and Interstate 84 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. during which officers conducted over 200 traffic stops and issued 268 citations and 58 warnings. The citations issued included:
* 125 citations for Unlawful Use of a Mobile Communication Device (cell phone law violations)
* 58 citations for Adult & Child Safety Restraint Use
* 14 citations for Speed Violations
* 71 citations for all other violations including Driving While Suspended and Driving Uninsured
Traffic stops also led to:
* Two arrests for Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants – Drugs (one each by Portland Police Bureau and Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office)
* One recovered unoccupied stolen vehicle (Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office)
* An arrest of a 29-year old Portland man by an Oregon State Police trooper wanted on a felony warrant out of Clark County, Washington (Violation of Conditional Release Agreement)
* An out-of-compliance registered sex offender contacted by an Oregon State Police trooper for a safety belt violation. He was cited to appear on a misdemeanor charge.
OSP, MCSO, CCSO and PPB urge everyone to be part of our daily efforts to keep our roads safe because it's worth it if we can save a life.