Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Critical Injury Traffic Crash Involving Armored Truck - Highway 126 west of Redmond
March 18, 2013

Lieutenant Gregg Hastings
Public Information Officer
(503) 731-3020 ext 247

Photograph links valid 30 days - Source: Oregon State Police

Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers are continuing the investigation into Monday morning's two vehicle serious injury traffic crash along Highway 126 about two miles west of Redmond. Three people were injured, one seriously, and the highway was fully open to traffic shortly after 12 noon.
According to Lieutenant Carl Rhodes, on March 18, 2013 at approximately 8:55 a.m., a vehicle was stopped westbound on Highway 126 near milepost 109 to turn left onto SW 55th Place when a westbound armored truck approached from behind. Believing her vehicle was going to be struck from behind, the vehicle's witness driver accelerated forward as the armored truck's driver lost control. The armored truck traveled into the eastbound lane where it collided with a 1999 Suzuki sport utility vehicle driven by JOSE ARMANDO AGUIRRE BERNABE, age 18, from Bend. After impact, both vehicles came to rest along the south side of the highway.
AGUIRRE BERNABE, who was using safety restraints, was trapped inside and extricated by Redmond Fire & Rescue personnel. He was transported by air ambulance to St. Charles Medical Center in Bend where he is in critical condition.
The armored truck's two occupants were transported by ground ambulance to St. Charles Medical Center in Redmond with non-life threatening injuries. The driver is identified as DANE SMITH, age 35, from Redmond. The male passenger was in the locked rear compartment of the armored truck and his name is not available for this update release. Neither occupant was using safety restraints. The vehicle belongs to Garda armored transportation. Another armored vehicle and personnel came to the scene to transfer the load from the crashed truck.
OSP was also helped at the scene by Deschutes County Sheriff's Office and ODOT. The highway was closed for about an hour during initial emergency response and medical transport before being open to one lane until all lanes were open.

No enforcement action taken as the investigation continues.