Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Fatal Traffic Crash - Highway 101 south of Depoe Bay in Lincoln County
March 19, 2014

Lieutenant Gregg Hastings
Public Information Officer
(503) 731-3020 ext 247

Photograph links valid at least 30 days - Source: Oregon State Police

Oregon State Police (OSP), with the assistance of the Lincoln County Crash Team, is continuing the investigation into Wednesday morning’s single vehicle fatal traffic crash that occurred off Highway 101 about three miles south of Depoe Bay in Lincoln County. The crash resulted in the death of an adult female whose name is released in this update.
On March 19, 2014 at approximately 8:40 a.m., a witness traveling southbound on Highway 101 near milepost 130 reported a car passed their vehicle southbound at a high rate of speed, traveling off the highway and through a wide turnout where it went off a cliff. The 2008 Saturn Vue sport utility vehicle was spotted resting approximately 250 feet below on rocks near the surf line.

Emergency responders from Lincoln County Sheriff's Office, Depoe Bay Fire District, Pac West Ambulance, and Oregon State Police responded to the scene and confirmed the vehicle contained a deceased adult female who was ejected. A rope rescue team consisting of personnel from Yachats, Central Coast, Newport, Toledo and North Lincoln Fire & Rescue were called out to reach the victim below. The U.S. Coast Guard responded with a helicopter and boat resources to help. Their helicopter moved the victim up to the highway.

The victim is identified as ADRIANA STAR RUIZ, age 23, from Lincoln City. 

OSP troopers from the Newport Area Command office are leading the investigation with the assistance of members of the interagency Lincoln County Crash Team. Agencies with representatives of the team were Lincoln County Sheriff's Office, Newport Police Department, Lincoln City Police Department, and Lincoln County District Attorney's Office.

ODOT also asssisted at the scene. No lanes were closed but several emergency response vehicles and personnel were at the scene until clearing about 12:50 p.m.