Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Minor Injury Crash - Highway 126E at Interstate 5 in Springfield

Three people avoided major injuries after a collision stemming from a wrong way vehicle on Highway 126E near Interstate-5 in Springfield.  The wrong-way vehicle and its occupants have not been identified.  Troopers from the Springfield Area Command are continuing the investigation.


On Friday, May 3rd, 2013 at approximately 1:55 AM, a Subaru SUV operated by 29 year-old Matthew YNFANTE, from Eugene, was eastbound on Highway 126E over Interstate-5.  YNFANTE encountered a wrong-way vehicle westbound in the eastbound lanes toward him.  YNFANTE swerved and slowed in the middle of the road.  A black Kia sedan, operated by 26 year-old David DEVERAUX, was eastbound on Highway 126E behind YNFANTE.  DEVERAUX also swerved to avoid the wrong-way driver, but did not notice YNFANTE had slowed in front of him.  DEVERAUX attempted to avoid a collision, but rear-ended the Subaru before colliding with a guardrail and coming to rest on the shoulder of the road.  The Subaru came to rest in the left lane of Highway 126E.

YNFANTE, who was wearing safety restraints, suffered minor injuries and declined to be transported for further medical treatment.  DEVERAUX and his passenger, 30 year-old Dana FREYTAG, were wearing safety restraints and both front airbags deployed.  Neither was injured.

DEVERAUX was cited for Driving While Suspended.


Witnesses described the wrong way vehicle as a newer grey minivan driven by an elderly white male, accompanied by an elderly white female.  The elderly couple was reportedly looking for I-5 southbound.  Anyone with information related to the identification of the minivan and occupants is asked to contact Trooper Evan Sether at the OSP Springfield Area Command at (541) 726-2536 extension 439.


OSP was assisted at the scene by ODOT, the Eugene Police Department, the Springfield Police Department and the Eugene Fire Department. 


The highway was restricted to one lane for approximately an hour during the investigation.

Photograph Source: Oregon State Police