August 6, 2014
Sergeant Jeff Lewis
Oregon State Police - Oregon State Athletic Commission (OSAC)
A statewide recruitment is being conducted for interested, qualified candidates to serve as volunteers with the Oregon State Athletic Commission Medical Advisory Committee. The recruitment will close September 15, 2014.
The Oregon State Athletic Commission (OSAC) is charged with regulating professional boxing, mixed martial arts and entertainment wrestling in the State of Oregon. The commission is comprised of five volunteer members and an Executive Director responsible for the program's administration.
The commission has a Medical Advisory Committee comprised of five individuals serving a four-year term that is appointed by the Superintendent of the Oregon State Police.
Members of the Medical Advisory Committee must be a physician licensed in the State of Oregon. A physician is defined as any person who holds a degree of Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy under ORS 677.010. Committee members will attend both regular and irregular public meetings generally held in Salem and/or by teleconference. Travel and per diem expenses associated with the volunteer duties of this position are covered for committee members.
Duties of the Medical Advisory Committee include gathering, assessing and updating medical data for the purpose of recommending to the commission:
1. Fitness criteria for pre-fight medical examinations;
2. Medical procedures and substances allowed for use in the contestants corner;
3. Emergency procedures for ring injuries; and
4. Safety equipment required to promote the best interests of contestants.
5. Periodically the Committee will identify and nominate for approval by the commission a sufficient number of qualified licensed physicians to serve as ringside physicians for boxing and mixed martial arts events held throughout the State of Oregon.
Interested persons should contact Sgt. Jeff Lewis of the Oregon State Athletic Commission, at (503) 378-3578, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
More information is available on the Commission website at OSAC Commission website: