Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
New and Events
Fatal Pedestrian-Involved Crash - Interstate 205 near Gladstone
Lieutenant Gregg Hastings
Public Information Officer
(503) 731-3020 ext 247

Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers and Clackamas County Medical Examiner's Office are continuing the investigation into an early Sunday morning pedestrian-involved fatal traffic crash along the northbound lanes of Interstate 205 on the north end of the bridge over the Clackamas River near Gladstone. The 38-year old male pedestrian and a dog he was holding both died. The victim's name is released following confirmation that next of kin in Illinois were notified. The victim, ERIC DOUGLAS FAIRCLOTH, is believed to be transient with no known recent residential information.
On August 19, 2012 at approximately 3:04 a.m. OSP, local police and firefighers were dispatched to a reported pedestrian-involved traffic crash in the northbound lanes of Interstate 205 near milepost 11. Upon arrival, a man and a dog were both deceased.
Preliminary investigation indicates a Toyota Camry driven by ALBERT J. CARNESS, age 65, from Vancouver, Washington, was northbound traveling through a sweeping left curve over the Clackamas River bridge. The car struck an unknown object in the left lane so CARNESS pulled over, stopped to see what it was and noticed he had run over a body. CARNESS was not injured.
About one minute before OSP received the reported incident, a call was made to 9-1-1 and forwarded to OSP dispatch reporting a person holding a dog was laying in the left northbound lane at that location. Troopers were not able to get to the area to confirm the report before the fatal crash occurred. It's still not known if this was a deliberate act by the victim.
OSP troopers from the Portland Area Command office are continuing the investigation with the assistance of the Clackamas County Medical Examiner's Office. Senior Trooper Guy Nelson is the lead investigator.
Gladstone Police Department, Clackamas County Fire District 1, AMR ambulance, Oregon City Police Department, and ODOT assisted at the scene. Two lanes were closed for about 3 hours during the scene investigation.

### www.oregon.gov/OSP ###