Lieutenant Gregg Hastings
Public Information Officer
(503) 731-3020 ext 247
Preliminary information indicates three people died in 3 separate traffic crashes on Oregon roadways during the 2012 Labor Day holiday period as Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers, along with county deputies and city officers, concluded a national DUII and traffic safety enforcement effort.
According to ODOT's Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), fatalities average seven each year in Oregon for this holiday period, which is historically the second deadliest major holiday period of the year. Last year, 3 people died in two separate traffic crashes.
Between 6:00 p.m., Friday, August 31, and 11:59 p.m., Monday, September 3, the following fatal crashes were reported:
* On Saturday, September 1, at approximately 12:53 p.m. a 74-year old male passenger died after he was ejected from a vehicle along Interstate 5 near West Linn in Clackamas County. Two others were seriously injured. A blow tire is a possible contributing factor. OSP is the lead investigating agency.
* On Sunday, September 2, at approximately 12:50 a.m. a 22-year old male passenger died in a single vehicle rollover crash along Highway 31 near Silver Lake in Lake County. One other person was injured and the investigation is continuing the positively identify who the driver was. Alcohol is a possible contributing factor in this crash. OSP is the lead investigating agency.
* On Monday, September 3, at approximately 6:03 a.m. a 81-year old female passenger died in a collision involving a passenger vehicle and flatbed trailers along Highway 82 near Wallowa in Wallowa County. One other person was seriously injured and the cause is still under investigation. OSP is the lead investigating agency.
OSP troopers reported 51 DUII arrests, down from 70 arrests reported last year. OSP offices reporting 3 or more DUII arrests were:
* Portland Area Command office - 9 DUII arrests
* Central Point Area Command office - 7 DUII arrests
* Klamath Falls Area Command office - 4 DUII arrests
* Roseburg Area Command office - 4 DUII arrests
* Salem Area Command office - 3 DUII arrests
* Albany Area Command office - 3 DUII arrests
* Springfield Area Command office - 3 DUII arrests
* North Plains work site - 3 DUII arrests
Questions regarding local OSP holiday weekend activity should be directed to your local OSP office.