Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Fatal Traffic Crash - Highway 34 east of Corvallis

Lieutenant Gregg Hastings

Public Information Officer

(503) 731-3020 ext 247



Photograph links valid 30 days - Source: Oregon State Police



Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers investigating Wednesday afternoon's fatal traffic crash involving three vehicles along Highway 34 about two miles east of Corvallis are seeking additional witnesses to help complete the investigation. Specifically, any witnesses to the fatal crash or of the GMC Suburban driven before the crash is asked to call Trooper Casi Hegney-Bach or Trooper Ray Stallsworth at (541) 967-2026.
According to Sergeant Eric Judah, on September 5, 2012 at approximately 2:45 p.m. a 2004 Pontiac Vibe driven by CHELSEA D. DUFFY, age 22, from Myrtle Creek, was eastbound on Highway 34 near milepost 2 in the left lane. A 1995 GMC Suburban driven by VALORIE K. CARRIGAN, age 35, from Blodgett, was eastbound in the right lane and attempted to change lanes in front of the Pontiac. The left rear section of the GMC struck the right front section of the Pontiac causing the Pontiac's driver to lose control.
The Pontiac crossed into the westbound left lane and collided head-on with a 2003 Jeep Liberty driven by LARRY F. DODGE, age 52, from Shedd. The GMC continued eastbound and returned to the scene where CARRIGAN, who was not injured, cooperated with investigating troopers.
DUFFY was pronounced deceased at the scene. She was not using safety restraints and her vehicle's airbags deployed.
DODGE was transported by ambulance to Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center in Corvallis for treatment of serious injuries. He was using safety restraints and his airbags deployed.
OSP troopers from the Albany Area Command office are continuing the investigation. No enforcement action taken at this time.
OSP troopers from Oregon State University, Corvallis Police Department, Benton County Sheriff's Office, Corvallis Fire Department and ODOT assisted at the scene. The westbound lanes were blocked for about four hours but traffic was shuttled through in both directions on the opposite side of the highway.