October 9, 2013
Lieutenant Craig Flierl
Office: (503) 378-4510
Sergeant Jeff Lewis
Office: (503) 378-4485
Twenty-three Oregon State Police (OSP) recruit troopers mark the completion of nearly 26 weeks of training Saturday, October 12, 2013, at 12 noon, during post-academy graduation before family, friends, and OSP employees at the Oregon Public Safety Academy located at 4190 Aumsville Highway.
OSP Deputy Superintendent Maureen Bedell will recognize the accomplishments of the graduating recruits who completed the intense training program preparing them for the challenges they will face working for OSP and the public safety community. Five of the 23 graduating recruit troopers are lateral entry hires who previously worked for another law enforcement agency before joining OSP.
Deputy Superintendent Bedell will be joined at the ceremony by family members of former Superintendent Holly V. Holcomb who died November 25, 1975 when he was shot by an assailant in front of the OSP General Headquarters in Salem (http://www.oregon.gov/osp/pages/holly_holcomb.aspx). As a class project, a plaque in memory of Superintendent Holcomb was refurbished for future display at the Fallen Trooper Memorial (www.ospmemorial.org) that will be built in front of OSP General Headquarters.
During the graduation ceremony, OSP will also present special recognition to four OSP sworn members for their professional response during an active shooter incident in February 2013 at a Silverton-area RV park. The special recognition includes the presentation of the "Holly V. Holcomb" Award, given to sworn employees who react to a situation in a heroic and professional manner to reduce the risk or loss of life or injury to citizens or another officer.
The 23 graduating OSP recruit troopers will report to their scheduled assignments at the following OSP offices:
* Recruit Trooper Peter Anderson - Klamath Falls Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Richard Anderson - Portland Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Thomas Andreazzi - Lakeview Work Site
* Recruit Trooper Jonathan Boggs - La Grande Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Andrea Borraggine - Central Point Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Elias Breen - Salem Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Zachary Downing - Baker City Work Site (lateral entry)
* Recruit Trooper Eli Friesen - Salem Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Kurtis Hansen - Hermiston Work Site
* Recruit Trooper Michael Kendoll - Portland Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Bryan Kolacz - Springfield Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Wesley Linhart - Pendleton Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Mac Marshall - Portland Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Ryan Martin - Springfield Area Command (lateral entry)
* Recruit Trooper Matthew Moran - The Dalles Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Matthew Newby - The Dalles Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Michael Nork - Klamath Falls Area Command (lateral entry)
* Recruit Trooper Jason Schaffner - The Dalles Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Matthew Schmidt - Portland Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Timothy Schuette - Baker City Work Site
* Recruit Trooper Scott Severson - Newport Area Command
* Recruit Trooper Cory Sweet - Grants Pass Work Site (lateral entry)
* Recruit Trooper Brian Wickert - Ontario Area Command (lateral entry)
Anyone interested in future potential hiring opportunities to become an Oregon State Police Trooper may obtain more information at the OSP recruiting website, www.osptrooper.com, or call the OSP Training / Sworn Applicant Processing Section at (503) 378-4175.
The Oregon State Police is a full-service public safety agency providing diverse services to the citizens of Oregon. Our mission is to enhance livability and safety by protecting the people, property, and natural resources of the state. To realize our vision and accomplish our mission our objectives are to BE THERE (be ready and able to respond to the increasing needs of Oregonians); PREVENT HARM (engage in vigilant enforcement of laws and regulations while making Oregon's roadways safe and reducing our citizen's exposure to crime, fire and disasters); and, SUPPORT OREGON COMMUNITIES (providing specialized services and assistance throughout Oregon in support of the statewide public safety infrastructure).
### www.oregon.gov/OSP ###