Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
OSP SWAT Helps Arrest Barricaded Man in Baker City
Baker County District Attorney's Office
(541) 523-8205

The Oregon State Police (OSP) SWAT team assisted several area law enforcement agencies with the arrest of a barricaded man following a night long standoff in Baker City.
DONALD JAMES HUFF, age 42, from Baker City, was taken into custody March 23, 2011 after discharging a firearm within the city limits of Baker City following a night long standoff with law enforcement officers.  HUFF was charged by the Baker County District Attorney's Office by District Attorney's Information on March 22, 2011 for the charges of:
  • Unlawful Use of a Weapon
  • Recklessly Endangering Another Person
  • Pointing a Firearm at Another
Baker County Circuit Court Judge Gregory L. Baxter authorized the warrant for HUFF's arrest on March 22.  Bail was set at $25,000.
The incident began March 22, 2011 at approximately 3:52 p.m. when Michael Blount contacted 9-1-1 to report his brother, DONALD HUFF, was having potential suicidal issues.  Officers from Baker City Police Department, Oregon State Police, and Baker County Sheriff's Office responded to HUFF's resdience at 695 4th Street in Baker City.  HUFF barricaded himself in his residence and refused to comply with officers' requests.
Local law enforcement officers requested the assistance of outside agencies for tactical support.  Agencies responding included Union County Tactical Team (composed of members from La Grande Police Department and Union County Sheriff's Office), the Malheur County tactical team (with an armed vehicle), Oregon State Police regional troopers and command staff, and Oregon State Police SWAT team members (from as far away as Springfield).  The Baker County Consolidated Dispatch provided mobile services.
After numerous attempts were made to establish contact with HUFF and after these attempts failed, ultimately member of the Oregon State Police SWAT team entered HUFF's residence on March 23.  HUFF was found alive inside at 7:22 a.m. and was taken into custody without further incident.  HUFF was transported to the hospital for a complete medical check-up and remains in custody.
The investigation is continuing.