Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Trooper and Citizens Help Rescue Man Trapped Under Pickup's Wheel near Dorena
Lieutenant Gregg Hastings
Public Information Officer
(503) 731-3020 ext. 247

Photograph links valid 30 days - Source: Oregon State Police
A Dorena-area man is crediting the help he received from an Oregon State Police (OSP) Fish & Wildlife Division trooper and some citizens for saving his life Friday night. MIKE D. MARTIN, age 58, was seriously injured and treated at Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend after his head became trapped underneath the wheel of a pickup in his driveway until the trooper found him and worked with others to free him.

On July 22, 2011 at approximately 9:00 p.m. OSP Trooper Marc Boyd was working overtime patrolling in the Dorena area checking US Army Corps of Engineers parks and recreation sites. Boyd was driving an OSP pickup eastbound in the 37000 block of Row River Road following a vehicle he was preparing to stop when he thought he saw something unusual out of the corner of his eye. Boyd stopped and backed up, and in the darkness he saw a pickup about 12 feet from the road in a driveway with a man's body lying on the ground next to the front driver side wheel.

After Boyd got out and approached the pickup, MARTIN said he needed help because his head was trapped under the wheel after it rolled backward while he was looking underneath it. MARTIN was conscious, in obvious pain and in need of rescue as soon as possible. He was home alone and said he tried unsuccessfully in the dark for about 20 minutes to get the attention of other passing motorists before Boyd stopped.

Blocking the highway with the OSP pickup, Boyd got help from at least two other people, identified as George Swain from Dorena and Stan Severe from Junction City, who stopped because the road was blocked.

Boyd attached a tow strap to the OSP pickup and gently moved MARTIN's pickup about a foot away from his head. Swain and Severe helped steady the tow strap while monitoring MARTIN's position on the ground. After pulling the pickup away, Swain got in and kept his foot on the brake for about 30 minutes to keep it from rolling again.
Boyd notified OSP dispatch of the situation, requested medical and LifeFlight response and started initial emergency medical care. South Lane County Fire & Rescue and LifeFlight both responded to the scene and took over before LifeFlight transported MARTIN to Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend. He he had surgery for several hours Friday night and was reportedly discharged from the hospital on Sunday.