Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Fatal Traffic Crash - Interstate 84 in the Corbett area
Lieutenant Gregg Hastings
Public Information Officer
(503) 731-3020 ext. 247

Photograph link valid 30 days - Source: Oregon State Police
Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers are continuing the investigation into Wednesday night's fatal traffic crash along westbound Interstate 84 in the Corbett area that resulted in the death of one person. Troopers will work with the medical examiner to positively identify the victim.
Updated informtion from OSP Trooper Jose Cortez indicates on August 25, 2010 at approximately 9:37 p.m. a 2003 Honda Pilot displaying California license plates driven by an adult male was westbound on Interstate 84 near milepost 23 when it traveled off the north side of the freeway into a viewpoint parking area. The sport utility vehicle crashed into the left rear side of a parked semi-trailer and caught fire.
The truck's driver, RICHARD CLAY, age 30, from Effingham, Illinois was inside the truck's sleeper berth when he felt the impact and noticed the fire. CLAY was able to unhook the truck from the trailer and move it as the fire developed. He and others who stopped to help were unable to get to the Honda's driver because of the fire.
Fire personnel from Corbett Fire Department and Multnomah County Rural Protection Fire District #14 responded and extinguished the fire that caused significant damage to the Honda Pilot and the rear third of the semi-trailer loaded with grocery products.
OSP troopers from the Portland Area Command office are continuing the investigation. OSP is seeking any witnesses to the crash or driving prior to the crash of the Honda Pilot which is believed to have been light green in color before the crash and fire. Anyone with information can call OSP Northern Command Center dispatch at 800-452-7888 (in Oregon) or (503) 731-3030.
Multnomah County Sheriff's Office and ODOT assisted at the scene. Lanes in both directions were closed about an hour during fire suppression efforts. Eastbound lanes and one westbound lane were opened about 10:45 p.m.
The viewpoint parking lot remained closed as ODOT personnel remained on scene during the night to coordinate scene clean up work.