Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Fatal Traffic Crash - Interstate 84 near 33rd Avenue in Portland
Lieutenant Gregg Hastings
Public Information Officer
(503) 731-3020 ext. 247

Photograph links valid 30 days - Source: Oregon State Police
A northeast Portland man critically injured Wednesday evening after his motorcycle collided with another vehicle in the eastbound lanes of Interstate 84 near 33rd Avenue died early Thursday morning at a Portland-area hospital. Oregon State Police (OSP) troopers, with the assistance of Portland Police Bureau (PPB), are continuing the investigation.
On October 20, 2010 at approximately 5:51 p.m. a collision involving a motorcycle occurred on the Interstate 84 eastbound lanes near the 33rd Avenue overpass. A 2000 Yamaha motorcycle operated by PETER KENDALL GUNDERSON, age 59, from northeast Portland, was eastbound when GUNDERSON may have failed to see traffic ahead of him was slowing as police were closing down the westbound lanes for the upcoming presidential motorcade to travel in.
GUNDERSON lost control as he braked for the slowing eastbound traffic. His motorcycle skidded then fell onto its side, sliding uncontrolled in the left eastbound lane until it hit underneath a stopped 2010 Chevrolet Camaro driven by LEEANNE C. GRIFFIN, age 38, from southeast Portland. After feeling the impact, GRIFFIN pulled forward and stopped.
The motorcycle came to rest near the center concrete barrier and quickly caught fire. Some witnesses pulled GUNDERSON away from the burning motorcycle to the far right eastbound lane.
OSP Sergeant Dan Swift parked on the opposite side of the freeway at the westbound on ramp from 33rd Avenue witnessed a segment of the crash and saw flames come from the eastbound lanes. Unable to access the scene due to the raised level of the eastbound lanes at that location, Swift drove to the next interchange and was the first arriving emergency responder at the scene. Swift tried to put out the motorcycle fire with an extinguisher but was unable to do so. It was eventually put out by Portland firefighters after they arrived on scene.
Swift and some witnesses provided initial care until EMTs arrived. GUNDERSON was transported by AMR ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Hospital with critical injuries. He was wearing a protective helmet. Hospital officials confirmed GUNDERSON died Thursday at 12:27 a.m.
GRIFFIN was not injured. Her car received minor damage.
OSP troopers assisting during the motorcade took over primary investigation responsibility from PPB to help their department during the president's visit.
Portland Fire Bureau and ODOT also assisted at the scene. Eastbound lanes were blocked about one hour due to this incident.