Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Sgt. Dan Swift
Acting Public Information Officer
Oregon State Police

Photo/sound file: http://www.flashalertnewswire.net/images/news/2011-11/1002/49282/2011-11-11_13-56-50_642.jpg 
Photo/sound file: http://www.flashalertnewswire.net/images/news/2011-11/1002/49282/2011-11-11_13-55-26_753.jpg 
One person was killed and four others were sent to the hospital following an early afternoon traffic collision near Stayton in Marion County.
About 1:10 PM on Friday, 11/11/11, State Troopers from the Oregon State Police Salem Area Command responded along with other emergency personnel to a two vehicle, head-on, traffic collision on Hwy 22E at MP 15, about two miles east of Stayton.
A preliminary investigation showed a blue, 1998, Dodge Caravan being driven by Jana Kuest, 38 of Hillsboro, was westbound on Hwy 22E when it crossed over the center line and into the oncoming traffic lane. The Dodge then struck a white, 2003, Chevrolet Suburban head-on. The driver of the Chevrolet, Gerald Capps, 71, and his passenger, Sandra Valerie Capps, 69, both of Aumsville, were taken to Stayton hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Kuest had to be extricated from the Dodge and she was then taken by LifeFlight to Salem hospital where she was pronounced deceased. In addition to Kuest, there were two juveniles in the Dodge as well. One, identified as Kuest's ten year old son, was taken to Stayton hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The other juvenile, identified as his nine year old friend, was initially taken to Stayton hospital but was eventually transported by LifeFlight to Legacy Emanuel hospital in Portland with serious injuries.
All the occupants in both vehicles were wearing their seat belts. It is possible that Kuest may have suffered a medical emergency prior to the collision.
The Oregon State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit was brought in to investigate the collision. OSP was assisted at the scene by the Marion County Sheriff's Department, the Stayton and Lyons Fire Departments, and ODOT. OSP was also assisted by the Hillsboro Police Department with the next of kin notification.
All lanes of Hwy 22E were initially closed to allow emergency personnel to work. Hwy 22E westbound was re-opened about 2:50 PM and the entire highway was open by 3:20 PM