Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image
News
Update: Increased Patrols Help Keep Drivers in Check on Highway 95
11/24/2008
Sergeant Jason Reese
Oregon State Police - Ontario
Office: (541) 889-6469 ext. 712

An interagency increased patrol enforcement effort last weekend helped keep most drivers in check on Highway 95 from the Oregon/Idaho border to the Oregon/Nevada border. The increased patrols helped address potential traffic-related problems and prevent crashes on this remote state highway due to the large influx of traffic traveling to and from Reno, Nevada for the Boise State University (BSU) / University of Nevada football game.
 
Oregon State Police (OSP) Sergeant Jason Reese reported the extra OSP troopers and Malheur County sheriff deputies during the three-day patrol coverage period helped prevent any reported crashes on the dangerous stretch of Highway 95.
 
"Our goal was not to issue citations only to football fans traveling to the game, but it was to let drivers on that highway know police were serious about keeping drivers in check, "said Reese. "The increased publicity contributed to pre-travel awareness and helped put the brakes on most drivers, so given the results and high voluntary compliance it was a success. We hope this continues, especially now that we are approaching the Thanksgiving holiday weekend."
 
Sergeant Reese reported that only about 5 percent of the issued traffic citations went to people traveling to and from the game. The remaining 95 percent were written to others driving on Highway 95 to other destinations. "We really appreciate and thank the BSU fans for following the rules of the road while traveling to the game in Reno and back to Boise."
 
The following weekend enforcement statistics were reported by OSP for the Highway 95 enhanced enforcement effort:
  • Total Traffic Crashes – 0
  • Total Vehicles Stopped (OSP) - 59
  • Traffic Citations – 34
  • Safety Restraint Violation Citations – 4
  • Warnings – 45
  • Unlawful Possession of less than an Ounce of Marijuana – 1
  • One Arrest Warrant Served
 
The highest speed stopped was Friday afternoon when one driver was cited at 105 mph near Basque Station.
 
One traffic-related incident happened about noon Friday, November 21st, that impacted travelers on Highway 95 in Oregon when it was closed about 30 minutes between Rome Station and the top of Rome Hill. Local ranchers herded about 100 head of cattle on Highway 95 up Rome Hill to another pasture with water on the north side of the highway.
 
One major traffic crash was reported south of Mcdermitt, Nevada Friday night when one vehicle hit a deer and then traveled into the oncoming lane where it hit another vehicle head-on. Seven people were injured and some of those were taken by air ambulance to Reno, Nevada. The crash closed the highway for about 2 1/2 hours and was investigated the Nevada Highway Patrol.