State Emergency Response Commission
ORS 453.520 designates the State Fire Marshal as the State Emergency Response Commission (SERC) as required by the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act of 1986 (42 U.S.C. 11001 et seq.).
 
The Oregon SERC is responsible for:
 
·        Designating Emergency Planning Districts (EPDs) throughout Oregon,
·        Establishing local emergency planning committees (LEPCs) within the EPDs,
·        Appointing membership to the LEPCs,
·        Providing review and comment on local community emergency response plans.
 
 

OAR 837-095
The Office of State Fire Marshal has adopted OAR 837 Division 095. These rules designate emergency planning districts as required by the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA) of 1986 (42 U.S.C. Chapter 116, Section 11001 et seq.); and Establishes State Emergency Response Commission Executive Committee and Emergency Planning Districts.
 


Oregon Administrative Rules 837-095 established the SERC Executive Committee and designated Emergency Planning Districts and Local Emergency Planning Committees. In Oregon, statute identifies the State Fire Marshal as the SERC. The SERC Executive Committee was established to provide input and recommendations to the SERC on activities related to EPCRA. The duties of the SERC Executive Committee are to advise the SERC on designation of emergency planning districts and questions regarding the creation or dissolving of LEPC’s, be involved with the review of plans developed by LEPC’s, support LEPC efforts to implement EPCRA, and assist with hazardous materials training, education, and outreach activities in support of the SERC and LEPC’s.
 

Hazardous Material Emergency Preparedness Grant
The Oregon SERC receives Hazardous Material Emergency Preparedness grant funds from the DOT Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration. The grant funds are used to support planning, training, and exercise projects related to hazardous materials emergency response to transportation incidents. Oregon receives approximately $260,000 annually. At least 80% of those funds are passed through to local first responder agencies. The remaining 20% is utilized by OSFM facilitate additional planning, training and exercise projects.
 

 
USDOT Emergency Order regarding Petroleum Crude Carriers, Docket No.  DOT-OST-2014-0067
On May 7, 2014, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) issued an Emergency Order requiring all railroads operating trains containing large amounts of Bakken crude oil to notify State Emergency Response Commissions (SERCs) about the operation of these trains through their states.
 
Effective immediately, the Emergency Order (Docket Number DOT-OST-2014-0067), requires that each railroad operating trains containing more than 1,000,000 gallons of Bakken crude oil, or approximately 35 tank cars, in a particular state to provide the SERC notification regarding the expected movement of such trains through the counties in that state. The notification must include estimated volumes of Bakken crude oil being transported, frequencies of anticipated train traffic and the route through which Bakken crude oil will be transported. The Emergency Order also requires the railroads provide contact information for at least one responsible party at the host railroads to the SERCs. The Emergency Order advises railroads to assist the SERCs as necessary to share the information with the appropriate emergency responders in affected communities.
 
Notifications and questions regarding this information are directed to the Oregon SERC at OR_SERC@state.or.us.
 


2017 Oregon SERC/LEPC Conference
The Office of State Fire Marshal is pleased to announce that the 2017 Oregon SERC/LEPC Conference is coming back to Seaside, Oregon on May 22-24, 2017 at the Seaside Convention Center. 

This conference is the perfect opportunity to enhance your knowledge and understanding of the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act (EPCRA) and will provide valuable information and ideas. It will also be a great opportunity for networking with people from across the state involved in LEPC activities, emergency planning, and response to hazardous materials incidents. This conference is hosted by the OSFM and paid for by funds provided by the HMEP Grant. 

The Eventbrite link to register for this conference is https://2017oregonserc-lepcconference.eventbrite.com​.​


SERC Contacts:
Sue Otjen, Coordinator
State Emergency Response Commission
Oregon Office of State Fire Marshal
Oregon State Police
Phone 503-934-8227
Fax 503-373-1825
 
 
Terry Wolfe
SERC Emergency Planner
Oregon Office of State Fire Marshal
Oregon State Police
Phone 503-934-8245
Fax 503-373-1825
​​​