The Oregon Office of State Fire Marshal was established in 1917 with the State Insurance Commissioner serving as ex officio State Fire Marshal.
In 1963, the Legislative Assembly separated the Office of State Fire Marshal from the insurance commissioner and placed it directly under the Governor. Another legislative change in 1971 incorporated the OSFM under the Department of Commerce and provided for the appointment of a State Fire Marshal and the establishment of a separate administrative office.
The Department of Commerce dismantled in 1987, and the OSFM transferred to the Executive Department. It remained there until 1993, when it was transferred to the State Police in an effort to consolidate public safety responsibilities in Oregon.
The first officially appointed State Fire Marshal was C. Walter Stickney in 1963. Past to present State Fire Marshals since then are:
Clyde W. Centers, 1974-1981
Olin L. Greene, 1982-1990
Everett G. Hall, 1990-1993
Robert T. Panuccio, 1994-2000
Robert L. Garrison, 2001-2004
Nancy Orr, 2004-2008
Randy R. Simpson, 2008-2010
Mark Wallace, 2011-2014