Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Watershed Restoration Funding Options
There is a tremendous volume of information available for funding watershed restoration. The Directory of Watershed Resources was created to provide watershed stakeholders with the funding information they need to make decisions.  This Directory lists 400 federal, state, and private funding programs available in Oregon.  It is available at http://efc.boisestate.edu/ and has an online, searchable database, which is updated regularly.
Selected funding sources which may be of interest include:
Conservation on Private Lands
The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation is working to expand and strengthen their partnership with the Natural Resources Conservation Service to support innovative and effective conservation and stewardship of this country’s private lands. The goal of the partnership is to support high quality projects that engage private landowners, primarily farmers and ranchers, in the conservation and enhancement of fish and wildlife and natural resources on their lands.
Contact Information:   Jody Olson; 1120 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 900; Washington DC  20036; Phone: (202) 857-0166; Internet address: www.nfwf.org/programs/nrcsnacd.cfm; E-mailjody.olson@nfwf.org 
Conservation Reserve Program and Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program
CRP and CREP are voluntary programs that offer long-term rental payments and cost-share assistance to establish long-term, resource-conserving cover on environmentally sensitive cropland or, in some cases, marginal pastureland. The protective cover reduces soil erosion, improves water quality, and enhances or establishes wildlife habitat.
Contact Information: OR Conservation Reserve Program Coordinator; USDA Farm Service Agency; 7620 SW Mohawk; Tualatin, OR  97602; Phone: (503) 692-6830; E-mail: info@fsa.usda.gov; Internet Address: www.fsa.usda.gov/pas/publications/facts/html/crpOregonStateEnhancement98.htm
Environmental Quality Incentive Program
EQIP was established to provide a single, voluntary conservation program for farmers and ranchers to address significant natural resource needs and objectives. It provides technical, financial, and educational assistance, half of it targeted to livestock-related natural resource concerns and the other half to more general conservation priorities.
Contact Information: Bill  White; Natural Resource Conservation Service; 101 SW Main St., Suite 1300; Portland, OR  97204-3221; Phone: (503) 414-3201; E-mail: bill.white@or.usda.gov; Internet Address www.nrcs.usda.gov/NRCSProg.html
Farm Bill 2002 Conservation Programs
Farm Bill 2002 programs provide grants for water management; relieve hazards from flooding & erosion with easements on recurring flooded lands; threats to water and related NR; encourage water conservation; restore, protect private property wetlands; establish/improve F&W habitat and address other natural resource issues.
Contact Information: Lee Brooks; Asst. State Conservationist; USDA: Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS); 9173 W. Barnes Dr., Ste. C; Boise, ID  83709; Phone: (208) 378-572; E-mail: Lee.Brooks@id.usda.gov; Internet Address: www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/farmbill/2002/products.html
Fish Screening or Passage Program
Cost-share funding opportunities are available through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife for voluntary fish screening and passage projects associated with water diversions.
Contact Information: Douglas DeHart; Regional Coordinator (ID, OR, WA); USFWS; Phone: (503) 231-2386; E-mail: douglas_dehart@fws.gov; or Ray  Hartlerode; Fish Passage Program Manager; OR Department of Fish & Wildlife; 3406 Cherry Ave. NE; Salem, OR  97303; Phone: 503-947-6215; Fax: 503-947-6203; E-mail: Ray.E.Hartlerode@state.or.us; Internet Address: www.dfw.state.or.us
Landowner Incentive Grant Program (Non - Tribal)
This grant program provides competitive matching grants to establish or supplement landowner incentive programs. These programs provide technical and financial assistance to private landowners for projects that protect and restore habitats of listed species or species determined to be at-risk. LIP projects will likely involve activities such as the restoration of marginal farmlands to wetlands, the removal of exotic plants to restore natural prairies, a change in grazing practices and fencing to enhance important riparian habitats, instream structural improvements to benefit aquatic species, road closures to protect habitats and reduce harassment of wildlife, and acquisition of conservation easements.
Contact Information: Landowner Incentive Program Coordinator; Division of Federal Aid; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; 4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Mail Stop MBSP-4020; Arlington, VA  22203; Phone: (703) 358-2156; Fax: (703) 358-1837; E-mail: FederalAid@fws.gov; Internet Address: federalasst.fws.gov/lip/lip.html
Nonpoint Source Implementation Grant (319) Program
Section 319 of the 1987 Clean Water Act authorizes grants for implementation of nonpoint source pollution control programs and projects to help protect or improve water quality. The Department of Environmental Quality, the state agency authorized to carry out this program, offers funding to implement key elements of watershed protection through locally developed watershed projects.
Contact Information: Ivan Camacho; Water Quality Division, NPS Program Coordinator; OR Department of Environmental Quality; 811 SW 6th Ave; Portland, OR  97204; Phone: (503) 229-5088; E-mail: camacho.ivan@deq.state.or.us; Internet Address: www.deq.state.or.us/wq/nonpoint/wq319gt.htm
Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board
The Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board (OWEB) is a state agency that provides grants to help Oregonians take care of local streams, rivers, wetlands and natural areas. Community members and landowners use scientific criteria to decide jointly what needs to be done to conserve and improve rivers and natural habitat in the places where they live. OWEB grants are funded from the Oregon Lottery, federal dollars, and salmon license plate revenue. The agency is led by a 17 member citizen board drawn from the public at large, tribes, and federal and state natural resource agency boards and commissions. Contact Information:  Lauri Aunan; OWEB Grant Program Manager 503-986-0047; E-mail: lauri.g.aunan@state.or.usOWEB Internet address: www.oregon.gov/OWEB

Planning/Technical Assistance Program
This program allows the Bureau of Reclamation to assist Tribal, local, state, and other federal agencies, water users, irrigation districts, watershed councils, and environmental groups in their efforts to address water, land, and other natural resource management issues in Oregon. Assistance includes data collection and analysis related to water supply and water quality, engineering, hydrologic studies, sedimentation, and water resources planning.
Contact Information: Dave Nelson; Bureau of Reclamation; Lower Columbia Area Office; 825 NE Multnomah Street #1110; Portland OR 97232; Phone: (503) 872-2801; E-mail: drnelson@pn.usbr.gov; Internet Address: www.usbr.gov
US Fish and Wildlife Service Private Stewardship ProgramThe Private Stewardship Program provides grants and other assistance on a competitive basis to individuals and groups engaged in local, private, and voluntary conservation efforts that benefit federally listed, proposed, or candidate species, or other at-risk species.
Contact Information: Heather Hollis; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; Eastside Federal Complex; 911 N.E. 11th Avenue; Portland OR 97232-4181; Phone: (503) 231-6241; Internet Address: endangered.fws.gov/grants/private_stewardship/index.html
US Fish and Wildlife Service Partners for Fish and Wildlife
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s, Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program, is a voluntary partnership program that helps private landowners restore wetlands and other important fish and wildlife habitats on their own lands.
Contact Information:  Marilynn Friley; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 911 North East 11th Avenue; Portland OR 97232-4181; Phone: (503) 231-6154; Internet Address: partners.fws.gov/