Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Understanding What the Real Estate Agency Regulates
The Real Estate Agency regulates:
  • The actions of real estate brokers in the course of their professional real estate activity as described in ORS 696.010.
  • The actions of real estate property managers while managing rental real estate as described in  ORS 696.010.
  • Unlicensed individuals who collect or attempt to collect a fee for representing a person in a real estate transaction.
  • Unlicensed individuals who collect or attempt to collect a fee for managing another person’s rental property.
  • The activities of escrow agents as defined by ORS 696.505.
The Real Estate Agency cannot help consumers recover civil or monetary damages.  
In other words, the Agency cannot help someone get money back.
The Agency does not regulate, and cannot provide help on:
  • Contract law.
  • Real property transactions between private parties not involving real estate licensees.
  • Landlord and tenant laws.
People with disputes or questions in areas of law outside the Agency's jurisdiction may need the assistance of lawyer. The Oregon State Bar has a lawyer referral service.  Lawyers who participate in this service agree to do a first-time in-office consultation for $35 or less. 
Exhaust Your Other Options
Because the complaint process can take some time, the Real Estate Agency recommends that you discuss your concerns with the licensee first.  If the licensee works for a real estate company or principal broker, you may also try communicating with the licensee’s principal broker. Regardless, you may file a complaint with the Agency at any time.

Filing a Complaint
If you believe a real estate or escrow licensee may have acted improperly, you can file a complaint simply by writing a letter to the Real Estate Agency, or using the Agency’s complaint form.  
Please note: All documents and materials provided to the Agency will become public record. Additionally, the subject of the complaint may be provided a copy of any submitted documents and materials as part of the complaint process. 
Without complete information, the Agency may be unable to investigate a complaint.
To file a complaint, please include:
  • A complete, legible description of the complaint.
  • Copies of any relevant or supporting documents you may have.  
  • The complete name of the person about whom you are complaining.
  • A list of other parties that have knowledge of the facts surrounding your complaint.  Please include their contact information (name, mailing address, daytime phone number, e-mail address, etc.).
Complaints may be submitted to the Agency by fax at (503) 373-7153, by e-mail at orea.info@state.or.us, or by regular mail.

Complaint Process
The Regulations Division Manager of the Real Estate Agency, or their designee, may contact the parties to determine whether or not to start an investigation.  If the Manager feels an investigation is warranted, the investigation will be assigned to an Investigator/Auditor. It may take several months for the investigation to be completed. When the Investigator completes the investigation, they prepare a report for the Manager. Based upon that report, the Manager may either close the case (with or without an “educational letter of advice”) or seek administrative action against the person’s license.
If the Real Estate Agency seeks administrative action against someone, that person has due process rights that allow an appeal of the Agency’s decision.  If the person agrees to the administrative action proposed by the Agency (settles) or is not successful in appealing, the administrative action or settlement goes into effect.  Administrative actions and settlements are published in the Oregon Real Estate News-Journal.  The action becomes part of the licensee’s or unlicensed person's record at the Agency, and the entire file becomes a matter of public record.

Complaint Form
Complaint Instruction Sheet and Form -pdf